Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funky_Giraffe)
    My brother does dentistry so I know all about how he went about deciding - he sounds like a similar person to what you describe lol!! But good for you - and dentistry is a fantastic degree.

Thanks! Although A-Levels are tough, no? We've got our work cut out to achieve all of these A*s we've been predicted....

I've so far got offers from Birmingham and Cardiff. Waiting on the other 2 poat-interview although UCL although they told me I should here sometime this week so excited/nervous for that :s! UCL would be a fab uni to go to !!

And you?
    hahaha really? yeah I know how I am as a person aint no fooling myself! Oh god to decide my parents sent me to do work experience in a hospital in Africa they so wanted me to choose medicine instead of dentistry haha

WOO congrats thats so good! I've got an offer from Cardiff and I'm waiting to hear back from KCL and Barts / QML

and yeah **** chemistry A2 is killing me atm its such a step up from AS - specially since I'm utter shite at maths!

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is no good anymore as a career but it's interesting. Pay is generally bad until you are a consultant or having your practice plus years of debt and longer hours of life time working and studying which can be hard and stressful. Medicine if you are really interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fibartlett)
    hahaha really? yeah I know how I am as a person aint no fooling myself! Oh god to decide my parents sent me to do work experience in a hospital in Africa they so wanted me to choose medicine instead of dentistry haha

WOO congrats thats so good! I've got an offer from Cardiff and I'm waiting to hear back from KCL and Barts / QML

and yeah **** chemistry A2 is killing me atm its such a step up from AS - specially since I'm utter shite at maths!
    Yeah I wonder why most parents would prefer their kids to go for medicine when they're interested in dentistry. Mine were the same with my bro...! The downside of dentistry though is that jobs are few and far between - that was their main concern with my brother doing it. But situations change in 5years so I guess we'll wait and see.

woop woop! Cardiff too?! Great stuff. Don't even get me started on A2 Maths....

ReputationRep:
    Facepalming at some of the stereotypes in this thread rn.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I wonder why most parents would prefer their kids to go for medicine when they're interested in dentistry. Mine were the same with my bro...! The downside of dentistry though is that jobs are few and far between - that was their main concern with my brother doing it. But situations change in 5years so I guess we'll wait and see.

woop woop! Cardiff too?! Great stuff. Don't even get me started on A2 Maths....
    haha I dropped maths! I'm so awful at it hahaha

Are they few and far between though? there's 100% post grad employment for most places.. anyway I'm planning on taking it to the states so hopefully it'll all pan out hahaha

yeah Cardiff is awesome! Its my first choice haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fibartlett)
    haha I dropped maths! I'm so awful at it hahaha

Are they few and far between though? there's 100% post grad employment for most places.. anyway I'm planning on taking it to the states so hopefully it'll all pan out hahaha

yeah Cardiff is awesome! Its my first choice haha
    Nice!

Just what I heard from newly qualified dentists when I did work exp in a local practice

ReputationRep:
    Nice!

Just what I heard from newly qualified dentists when I did work exp in a local practice
    ahh jesus really.. oh well I guess haha I'll find a job somehow

ReputationRep:
    I found myself swaying from one to the other last year as i tried to decide which one to pick but in the end I decided medicine just because I personally felt I was more suited to it and that's what I'd enjoy more day-to-day, year after year. This is only personal opinion and I think it really depends on the person applying because dentistry seems a lot better lifestyle wise! (Not too helpful I know but just go with which feels right for you)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.