Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. I'm currently struggling in coming to a decision in making my firm and insurance choice for UCAS. Both universities are amazing and sound very promising. My intention is to hopefully get into working with the top 4 accounting firms (Deloitte, EY, KPMG or PwC). My insurance choice is none of these options and has already been made, it is just my firm choice which i am still confused on.

The University of Reading has always been highly regarded for me as it seems like an amazing university to study at and has a very prestigious reputation. The course here would also be accounting and finance with a business placement, thus allowing me to gain a years experience into this industry.

On the other hand, the University of Nottingham offers a course called finance, accounting and management. This course offers the opportunities of not only providing a route into the accounting industry but also an insight and route into business management. This seems like a suitable and likable back-up plan should my ambition to become a chartered accountant is changed. Only this is, this course does not offer a placement year therefore i would struggle to gain a real insight into this industry, as i also have no prior experience.

ReputationRep:
    Placement experience can be very important. Its what helps you stand out against other candidates when you apply for jobs once you graduate

Out of curiosity, what was your offer for Reading?

ReputationRep:
    They are both quite prestigeous if im honest.The only thing I can think of is the fact that Reading offer higher entry requirments and Nottingham can sometimes offer lower, depending on course.
    Nottingham is also russell group, something that reading isnt ....highly targetted by employers and have a little bit of a repuation globally...im not too sure about readings global repuatation (but might also be good)
    The only thing you can do is visit and see which one you like best;
    I have also applied for finance, accounting and management as well @ nottingham
    And struggling to make a decision between nottingham and exeter!!! So i can feel ur fustration

ReputationRep:
    guys is lancaster's course with a placement year (acc and management) better thn the nottigham's course of acc finanace and management ?

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame you couldn't go onto fhe flying start at Nottingham (or even at reading ) because that would give you an almost direct pathway into a graduate job with PwC and Nottingham would wkn hands down. Nottingham seems like the better uni to me and I know many PwC employees will be lingering around a lot so maybe you may have some opportunities. Also with many courses that do not offer a placement year, you can still go on one, you just have to ask the university and arrange everything yourself

ReputationRep:
    somebody please reply

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.