Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am around 90% sure right now that I am going to fail my AS levels. My exams begin in 86 days, and I am struggling with revision. This is mainly through the fault of my college, as they provide very little support unless you're an A* student and you can make them look better. If you're kind of a B, sometimes A student, like myself, you're forgotten.

But anyway, I need help with effective revision techniques. Like, stat.

ReputationRep:
    It entirely depends on what subjects you're taking on whether I can help you out! But if you need any ideas I'm here to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_cash)
    It entirely depends on what subjects you're taking on whether I can help you out! But if you need any ideas I'm here to help.
    I'm doing English Lit&Lang, RE and French, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You can only do your best so do everything in your power to get the grades you deserve for the work you have done, there's no point stressing good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    You can only do your best so do everything in your power to get the grades you deserve for the work you have done, there's no point stressing good luck!
    Yeah, I kinda guess you're right. I'm still hitting the books hard for the next 3 months. thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Okay so French I can't really help you with, but English Lit I can, and I should imagine vaguely R.E.

For english lit, naturally, learn quotes, know your texts back to front. There's no real "technique" to this, you just have to learn them. Learn some quotes from critics which you can pull out to impress the examiner. French, it seems that really it's vocab, again this isn't something there is really a "technique" for, just gotta sit down and learn. R.E, just make sure you know all your concepts back to front, I'm much more knowledgeable in Theology but in that discipline it's just knowing the ideas, knowing your own opinion, and being able to coherently express them. English language I have no knowledge of I'm afraid!

ReputationRep:
    okay first of all dont worry, i was in the same situation exactly apart from worse, it got to easter and id done nothing and was getting Ds and Es but ended up wiith AAAB at AS Level.what do you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNDSAN)
    okay first of all dont worry, i was in the same situation exactly apart from worse, it got to easter and id done nothing and was getting Ds and Es but ended up wiith AAAB at AS Level.what do you study?

Ok i just saw, for english lit and lang, if you havent already, sort out your essay techniqe - thats the real key to a high grade rather than 10/10 content and for french, you need to do just a small amount of vocabulary each day, like 10 words and then write out questions to answers, memorise them, talk to yourself etc, youll be fine
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Cari98)
    I am around 90% sure right now that I am going to fail my AS levels. My exams begin in 86 days, and I am struggling with revision. This is mainly through the fault of my college, as they provide very little support unless you're an A* student and you can make them look better. If you're kind of a B, sometimes A student, like myself, you're forgotten.

But anyway, I need help with effective revision techniques. Like, stat.
    86 days. That is plenty of time. Starting revision is always tough, it takes a long time to get into the flow but once you're there you will fly through it. As you approach the topics you're covering now, it'll be much easier as it will be more fresh.

I think it is wrong to blame the institution, you could always seek out help yourself and they will need to provide it as a result.

I got shockingly poor results in my AS Levels, and still came out with AAB (we didn't have A*s back then). So it's not the end of the world. Though you've started revising now, don't stop and take it at a sensible pace.

That reminds me, I should start revising for my own exams in two weeks' time...

ReputationRep:
    English lit - memorise analysis, analyse important quotes, revise key themes, block them into mind maps. Make character profiles - just make sure you know the plot of what you are studying inside out. Research critics to put in your essays and do all of the essay plans using past questions - make up your own too! And lastly write actual essays in the time which you will be given in the exam. Get them marked by your teacher and improve! Closely use the mark scheme too. If you need to memorise quotes, what i advise doing is making a quote bank for each theme and then just memorizing - it'll come naturally to you in the exam And when writing essays get into the habit of planning. Hope this helps. I achieved a B at AS but a C at A2, so i got a C overall xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_cash)
    Okay so French I can't really help you with, but English Lit I can, and I should imagine vaguely R.E.

For english lit, naturally, learn quotes, know your texts back to front. There's no real "technique" to this, you just have to learn them. Learn some quotes from critics which you can pull out to impress the examiner. French, it seems that really it's vocab, again this isn't something there is really a "technique" for, just gotta sit down and learn. R.E, just make sure you know all your concepts back to front, I'm much more knowledgeable in Theology but in that discipline it's just knowing the ideas, knowing your own opinion, and being able to coherently express them. English language I have no knowledge of I'm afraid!
    oh my gosh thanks I've left it way too late to realise that I chose really difficult subjects

ReputationRep:
    You still have time dont worry! What I did last year was constantly bagger my teachers for help, seriously if you are stuck on something bagger them until they give you what you need. This is your A levels you need to demand for the help you deserve. I know you might feel like this is annoying them but it is their job to help you and they have to!

Also if you have friends doing the same subject then make study groups and a network of people that can help you that helps too

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.