Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else hate the taste of protein shakes? I feel sick for a good half an hour after I've had one. I've tried various different brands and flavours but they all make me feel the same way.

Also, do you find that protein shakes are helpful? I've not seen much of a faster/better result since taking them (it's been about 2 months).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I drink very little whey as its gross for the most part

How effective more protein in your diet is dependant on what your training is, the rest of your diet and your recovery

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To get the most out of protein, you should probably take some other supplements. What I do is intermittent fast from dinner to about lunch time the next day. This allows your body to use fat as the energy so you burn more fat; do this with exercise and youll be burning fat like its your job. So once youve fasted and worked out (SL5X5 or something similar) then take your protein shake. To make mine taste nice, I use Gold Standard Vanilla Whey, add milk instead of water and about 2-3 teaspoons of honey. **** tastes good. you can add cinnamon or something if you want. Coffee is also nice. Im just throwing out suggestions here.
    Protein shakes do help. If you consume the right amount, your muscles (proteins) will be able to repair quicker and thicker. Personally I have a protein shake right after my workout, and then right after lunch. and ive been seeing results

ReputationRep:
    I really like the taste of myprotein.co.uk's chocolate mint & chocolate peanut butter.

That said, I always have them with milk so that definitely helps. I also thicken them with Xanthum gum, so it's a milkshake with that lovely thickness and creaminess from the milk. Definitely a treat after a hard workout.

If it's not having too much effect, there's a few reasons:

- Firstly, you may be getting enough protein from the rest of your diet. In which case, well done!
    - You may not be working hard enough (lifting enough weight) to get your muscles to really be breaking down and getting them to tell your brain to absorb more protein to make bigger, better, stronger muscles.
    - You may not be eating enough calories overall. In which case, the protein is just being consumed for energy instead of being turned into muscle.

SS

ReputationRep:
    You probably need to man up. You can make your shakes taste better by adding certain things for example peanut butter and honey. I have hemp protein and it tastes like dust but I slam it cause I'm not a sissy. Depends what your goals are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If it's not having an effect, the rest of your diet isn't in place. It sounds like you're just drinking (that's drinking, not taking - how does one "take" protein :lol:) them and hoping for magic - all they are is another source of protein, to help increase your protein intake. If you're not in a caloric surplus then no amount of protein in your diet is going to help you gain muscle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Littledragonm)
    it tastes like dust Posted from TSR Mobile
    i feel like this is the funniest thing I've read today
    and i agree with the above you probably aren't supplementing them correctly

ReputationRep:
    Dedicated Whey - Cookies and Cream....

They get Ben and Jerrys to flavour their protein. It is so damn nice.

Although i tend to stick with myprotein unflavoured for the most part and blend it with Milk bananas ice cream and peanut butter.

ReputationRep:
    You are aware that protein shakes aren't some magic solution that will make you get better gains right? it's literally just protein, same thing as eating some chicken or steak, it's a macronutrient which you have minimums to hit for optimal gains (1 gram per lb lean bodymass), they're only useful if you fail to hit this with your diet

ReputationRep:
    Try Bulk Powders. Their flavours are amazing and they mix so well. Chocolate Mint rocks.

What's your training like? Protein itself won't give you muscles. You have to be training hard - you tear your muscles during training, then feed them with protein so they can repair and rebuild bigger than before. If you're not pushing yourself in the gym it's not really going to matter how much protein you have.

If you're a new lifter, you'll probably be able to make considerable muscle gains without protein - I never supplemented for my first few months and I certainly didn't have much protein in my diet. However you may as well maximise your novice lifter advantage by making sure you're consuming enough protein, and over time if you're not getting enough protein in (most people struggle to get enough purely from their 'actual' food) you won't be able to repair and rebuild your muscles. You want to aim for between 1.5-2g of protein per kg of bodyweight every day, or roughly 1g per lb.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.