Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    England tends to use Scotland as a test bed for new policies like the Poll Tax to see what happens before introducing it to the rest of Britain.

So it would make sense for Scotland to leave the EU first to see if its going to be a screw up or not. If it works out the rest of Britain can also leave, if Scotland turns into a hell hole, not too much damage has been done to the rest of Britain.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks(!)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Doesn't make sense for Scotland to leave the UK and stay in the EU. But that is what that idiot Sturgeon is suggesting.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if the Scottish had won independence, then they would have left the EU.

A Brexit will eventually lead to the break up of the Union anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand... Why do the Scottish want to stay in the EU even if it means leaving the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    I don't understand... Why do the Scottish want to stay in the EU even if it means leaving the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because the EU is more important than racist Middle England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Because the EU is more important that the racist Middle England.
    From what I've seen since moving to England... Racists are a minority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen since moving to England... Racists are a minority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who said it was the majority?

Brexit is wanted by Middle England. Not by Scotland. Not by NI. Not by Wales. Not by London.

ReputationRep:
    You're the idiot, not Nicola Sturgeon.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Because the EU is more important than racist Middle England.
    The best you could come up with its its racist to want to leave the EU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    The best you could come up with its its racist to want to leave the EU?
    I didn't say it was racist to want to leave the EU. I said that Middle England was Xenophobic. That is the difference.

In fact, I doubt many top Tories actually care about foreigners. Their obsession appears to be regaining some long lost glory of the UK which will end in failure.

However, that isn't the concern of the average Englishman

ReputationRep:
    Who said it was the majority?

Brexit is wanted by Middle England. Not by Scotland. Not by NI. Not by Wales. Not by London.
    I'm from NI and I want Brexit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm from NI and I want Brexit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You could probably also find a Scot that wants a Brexit as well.

It doesn't mean anything because Scotland will still vote to leave the Union in a Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    You could probably also find a Scot that wants a Brexit as well.

It doesn't mean anything because Scotland will still vote to leave the Union in a Brexit.
    That's weird because everyone I've talked in Northern Ireland has no idea what they are going to do so I'd say it's pretty open and that's only the catholic side.

You know fine rightly the Protestant side will do whatever the English tell them to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's weird because everyone I've talked in Northern Ireland has no idea what they are going to do so I'd say it's pretty open and that's only the catholic side.

You know fine rightly the Protestant side will do whatever the English tell them to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, Northern Ireland is the most backward place in the British Isles, so you might be right about that.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Northern Ireland is the most backward place in the British Isles, so you might be right about that.
    Agreed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Agreed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The pope runs the EU so no surprise its tyranny....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    England tends to use Scotland as a test bed for new policies like the Poll Tax to see what happens before introducing it to the rest of Britain.

So it would make sense for Scotland to leave the EU first to see if its going to be a screw up or not. If it works out the rest of Britain can also leave, if Scotland turns into a hell hole, not too much damage has been done to the rest of Britain.
    9/10 great post

ReputationRep:
    A Brexit will eventually lead to the break up of the Union anyway.
    Of course it won't. To seriously contend that we'd want to leave the UK - a closer economic union that we trade about five times as much with than the EU - in order to stay in the EU is pretty silly.

It would also fundamentally undermine a lot of the SNP's arguments in the last referendum: that Scotland could somehow swan into the EU because the UK was a member, keeping the UK's privileges and opt-outs. If we were to leave the EU, that (already daft) argument would die entirely: Scotland would be undoubtedly a new accession state, at the back of the queue, and with no reason to be granted an opt-out or the obligation to participate in monetary union.

There would be a hard border at Gretna, no chance of currency sharing and a waiting list to get back in. Hardly enticing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Of course it won't. To seriously contend that we'd want to leave the UK - a closer economic union that we trade about five times as much with than the EU - in order to stay in the EU is pretty silly.

It would also fundamentally undermine a lot of the SNP's arguments in the last referendum: that Scotland could somehow swan into the EU because the UK was a member, keeping the UK's privileges and opt-outs. If we were to leave the EU, that (already daft) argument would die entirely: Scotland would be undoubtedly a new accession state, at the back of the queue, and with no reason to be granted an opt-out or the obligation to participate in monetary union.

There would be a hard border at Gretna, no chance of currency sharing and a waiting list to get back in. Hardly enticing.
    I am not saying it is economically sensible for the Scottish to leave the Union. Scottish independence has always been a stupid idea.

However, there is overwhelming support for the EU within Scotland and I think it is reasonable to say that a Tory/English driven Brexit would create enough support for Scottish independence.

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.