Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has ever done this. I'm looking for the independence, social and convenience factors of living in halls, despite the fact that the university in choice is within my home city.

Is this COMPLETELY outrageous? I know it'd be a hell of a lot more expensive due to rent and more independent food costs etc... but I see this as a nice transition for myself from home living to complete independence.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I do not recommend living in halls. They're very expensive, you cannot guarantee who you get placed with.

You could live with someone with a total lack of respect for you, or a gaggle of giggling girls. There really is no telling. I've had friends who lived with people that smoked weed 24/7 and 'hotboxed' their bedroom. And yeah it stunk the entire flat out. I have never lived in halls but I've visited and all I ever hear about are problems with other flatmates.

If you genuinely want freedom, rent a room in a shared house. You are less likely to get weirdos as you can ask about who lives there before you sign up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SP0TIFY)
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has ever done this. I'm looking for the independence, social and convenience factors of living in halls, despite the fact that the university in choice is within my home city.

Is this COMPLETELY outrageous? I know it'd be a hell of a lot more expensive due to rent and more independent food costs etc... but I see this as a nice transition for myself from home living to complete independence.

Thoughts?
    I know quite a few people who did this in London where halls are super expensive and they all seemed to have a great time- they loved the freedom, being right near uni instead of an hour or so away, made great friends and it made going out at night so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    I know a couple of people who did this and had a positive experience. One stayed in shared houses with friends for the subsequent years of his degree, and the other returned home but retained the friends that he had made in halls (he also had health problems, which I think impacted his decision to return home - though I didn't like to pry)

(Original post by kendall2)
    I do not recommend living in halls. They're very expensive, you cannot guarantee who you get placed with.

You could live with someone with a total lack of respect for you, or a gaggle of giggling girls. There really is no telling. I've had friends who lived with people that smoked weed 24/7 and 'hotboxed' their bedroom. And yeah it stunk the entire flat out. I have never lived in halls but I've visited and all I ever hear about are problems with other flatmates.

If you genuinely want freedom, rent a room in a shared house. You are less likely to get weirdos as you can ask about who lives there before you sign up.
    The difference is that with halls, you can move between flats relatively easily, and the university will step in to deal with noise complaints, weed etc. In a shared house, you're stuck there until the end of the tenancy come hell or high water, and no one is going to deal with behaviour unless it's a police matter.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.