Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm going to get straight to the point; I did worse than expected at GCSE's (getting 7A's, 2B's, 2C's) and so have been left with fairly low predicted grades for AS/A2 (BDDD).

I'm currently studying biology, chemistry, - (both linear), philosophy and maths (AS exams).

As far as I understand, universities look at your predicted grades before making an offer. I feel like I have failed my mocks and have heard they are quite substantial in consideration to predicted grades. I was really hoping for AAAB for this year's results but that seems a little far fetched now.

Do the mock exams matter that much? Also, is there any way I can improve my predicted grades before UCAS applications have to be sent off?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    AHH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmaanHHussain)
    Hi all,

I'm going to get straight to the point; I did worse than expected at GCSE's (getting 7A's, 2B's, 2C's) and so have been left with fairly low predicted grades for AS/A2 (BDDD).

I'm currently studying biology, chemistry, - (both linear), philosophy and maths (AS exams).

As far as I understand, universities look at your predicted grades before making an offer. I feel like I have failed my mocks and have heard they are quite substantial in consideration to predicted grades. I was really hoping for AAAB for this year's results but that seems a little far fetched now.

Do the mock exams matter that much? Also, is there any way I can improve my predicted grades before UCAS applications have to be sent off?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    AHH
    To be honest, I'm confused as to why your GCSE grades = your predicted AS & A2 grades, unless you're talking about some kind of predictive ALIS scoring which is, tbh, bullsh*t.

I don't know how your college/school works specifically, but your predicted grades shouldn't be final until after the summer when you apply, so right now your best thing is to do as well as you can in the ASs you're taking and do better in class/summer mocks for the linear A Levels. Mocks aren't the end of the world (so many people get like AAAA in the summer after UUDE in mocks), but if you think you can get AAAB, then you can, but you have to prove that to your school. No top uni is going to take someone with BDDD predictions.

I'd suggest talking to your school directly about this and asking all your teachers why those are your predictions. They can give you much more targeted advice than we can. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhensis)
    To be honest, I'm confused as to why your GCSE grades = your predicted AS & A2 grades, unless you're talking about some kind of predictive ALIS scoring which is, tbh, bullsh*t.

I don't know how your college/school works specifically, but your predicted grades shouldn't be final until after the summer when you apply, so right now your best thing is to do as well as you can in the ASs you're taking and do better in class/summer mocks for the linear A Levels. Mocks aren't the end of the world (so many people get like AAAA in the summer after UUDE in mocks), but if you think you can get AAAB, then you can, but you have to prove that to your school. No top uni is going to take someone with BDDD predictions.

I'd suggest talking to your school directly about this and asking all your teachers why those are your predictions. They can give you much more targeted advice than we can. Good luck!
    Hi, thanks for the reply! I'm not sure either to be quite honest they do seem a little lower than one would expect. My school has possibly (or so they have said) scrapped end of year exams for both biology and chemistry so I imagine that the mock is very important.

The thing on my mind is, how can they just scrap an end of year exam? My UCAS predictions will be based on a mock which covers half of the course and eight months previous to what I would be currently working at? The idea seems absurd to me. Do you think the school is trying to 'scare' people into revising for the mock examinations?

I'll be sure to ask them after the mocks are over! Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.