Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've had my fair share of interaction with these douchebags. Recently, I had to spend a bit too long with a group of such people and it really got to me. Posting my story here is my way of venting (sad, I know).

So not too long ago, there was a seminar where I study (Southampton) on Computational Fluid Dynamics. The room was mostly filled with Aeronautics Engineers like myself from around the area.

I had the displeasure of being seated next to a group of Aero Engineers from Imperial. I'm not saying that everyone from Imperial is a pretentious as these *******s.

They seemed to have some sense of superiority over the rest. I'm sorry you turds but not everyone has as much money as you (I'm paying international fees, **** me in my goat ass). They assumed that they have achieved much more than everyone else. I don't want to brag but I'm sure with my grades I could have gone anywhere if money was no object. But I don't parade my achievements like a victory flag. I don't consider myself to be better than anyone else.

Again, I've friends at Imperial, I don't hate you all, just the cancerous ones like the ones being described.

Anyone with similar experience?

ReputationRep:
    I totally understand what you mean. I am not in University yet, but I do go to an International school in Thailand, and often when there are inter-school tournaments (for example sports, mathematics etc.) you get a lot of people with very large egos. However, sometimes it cannot be helped. I admit that I am sometimes guilty of this sort of mindset, thinking that you are better than other because of your school, family, nationality etc. I sometimes feel some sort of "pride" because I am a scholarship student and others a not (weird, I know). However, you just have to accept it as human nature, and just be glad that if you were in their position, you would not have such a negative mindset And perhaps they are not bad people. It's all got to do with psychology. We have in-groups and out-groups. Your in-group is made up of your friends and peers who are like-minded, and the out-group is anyone who deviates from your in-group's norms and expectations (so the students from imperial). It is natural for us to resent, or think lesser of those from out-groups. Maybe they don't mean to act snobbish, but it's just their brains telling them that you are from an out-group and must be treated a particular way.
    Don't take it personally And sorry for the long, boring reply haha

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but the weird thing I've noticed when I visited each uni (on open days) is that students at Oxbridge were better behaved and more down to earth than the students at Imperial. Maybe the college is doing something to inflate their egos. I don't think it's gonna bother me any more though.

(Original post by siskagreene)
    I totally understand what you mean. I am not in University yet, but I do go to an International school in Thailand, and often when there are inter-school tournaments (for example sports, mathematics etc.) you get a lot of people with very large egos. However, sometimes it cannot be helped. I admit that I am sometimes guilty of this sort of mindset, thinking that you are better than other because of your school, family, nationality etc. I sometimes feel some sort of "pride" because I am a scholarship student and others a not (weird, I know). However, you just have to accept it as human nature, and just be glad that if you were in their position, you would not have such a negative mindset And perhaps they are not bad people. It's all got to do with psychology. We have in-groups and out-groups. Your in-group is made up of your friends and peers who are like-minded, and the out-group is anyone who deviates from your in-group's norms and expectations (so the students from imperial). It is natural for us to resent, or think lesser of those from out-groups. Maybe they don't mean to act snobbish, but it's just their brains telling them that you are from an out-group and must be treated a particular way.
    Don't take it personally And sorry for the long, boring reply haha

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.