Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there aspirinpharmacist ! I can't respond to your visitor message but I'm a huge fan of Hamilton (though I hate that people think it's the only reason I'm interested in history). Have you seen it or are you just a hardcore cast recording fan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjohnson98)
    Hey there aspirinpharmacist ! I can't respond to your visitor message but I'm a huge fan of Hamilton (though I hate that people think it's the only reason I'm interested in history). Have you seen it or are you just a hardcore cast recording fan?
    Does it count if you've seen the opening number in the Grammy's?

No, I've never been to the States (top of my list of places to go now though, I need to get to Broadway!) but I have listened to the cast recording an obscene amount. I terrified my friend this morning by just greeting her with the second half of the John Adams rap they deleted from the Broadway show (I started it and I didn't want to stop halfway through).

Have you seen it? Ah, that's annoying. In fairness it's my reason for being more interested in American history, I know a fair bit about Britain's history around the same time period but I actually had no idea about any of the founding fathers. I didn't even like rap when I first heard Hamilton. So young. So naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Does it count if you've seen the opening number in the Grammy's?

No, I've never been to the States (top of my list of places to go now though, I need to get to Broadway!) but I have listened to the cast recording an obscene amount. I terrified my friend this morning by just greeting her with the second half of the John Adams rap they deleted from the Broadway show (I started it and I didn't want to stop halfway through).

Have you seen it? Ah, that's annoying. In fairness it's my reason for being more interested in American history, I know a fair bit about Britain's history around the same time period but I actually had no idea about any of the founding fathers. I didn't even like rap when I first heard Hamilton. So young. So naive.
    Not quite

With the way tickets are selling, you can plan your trip a year in advance and be right on time for the show.

I saw it a year ago (March 4th) at the Public, back before it was a huge deal. It was part of a history program I was in. Plus, I won the lotto and got my parents tickets to see it on Broadway - they loved it! It's not my favorite musical ever, and not even my favorite set in that time period (I'm loyal to 1776), but it's so, so, so good.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite

With the way tickets are selling, you can plan your trip a year in advance and be right on time for the show.

I saw it a year ago (March 4th) at the Public, back before it was a huge deal. It was part of a history program I was in. Plus, I won the lotto and got my parents tickets to see it on Broadway - they loved it! It's not my favorite musical ever, and not even my favorite set in that time period (I'm loyal to 1776), but it's so, so, so good.
    I thought not. But it's the most I'll probably ever get to see of the original cast so I was loving it anyway.

That's true. And very tempting. Although I doubt it would be the original cast I still really want to see it on stage. I mean it'll make it to the West End eventually but who knows when that will be. Not for a good three years or so. I think it probably is my favourite musical ever, or at least tied with Rent for first place. There isn't a single weak song on the album, it's all so good and the cast are so unbelievably talented.

Although if I did make it to Broadway I'd also want to try and see Waitress. And Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 which Phillipa Soo was in originally before she was in Hamilton. Basically I want to see half the shows on Broadway right now.

ReputationRep:
    I thought not. But it's the most I'll probably ever get to see of the original cast so I was loving it anyway.

That's true. And very tempting. Although I doubt it would be the original cast I still really want to see it on stage. I mean it'll make it to the West End eventually but who knows when that will be. Not for a good three years or so. I think it probably is my favourite musical ever, or at least tied with Rent for first place. There isn't a single weak song on the album, it's all so good and the cast are so unbelievably talented.

Although if I did make it to Broadway I'd also want to try and see Waitress. And Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 which Phillipa Soo was in originally before she was in Hamilton. Basically I want to see half the shows on Broadway right now.
    It's kinda weird, because as much as it's popular everywhere, the first act absolutely bashes Britain. But who knows? It's good enough - it should be widely enjoyed. I honestly think that the individual songs are somewhat weak, and that with the exception of a few, their strength lies in being played together. For me, it's 1776>Les Mis>POTO (ALW ripped off Puccini)>Hamilton. But I loved Hamilton. I just feel like it'll never hold the same emotional meaning for me, since I have more stories behind the others than "I was part of a program and we went to see Hamilton and I didn't know what it was but thought it was really good at the end"

ReputationRep:
    It's kinda weird, because as much as it's popular everywhere, the first act absolutely bashes Britain. But who knows? It's good enough - it should be widely enjoyed. I honestly think that the individual songs are somewhat weak, and that with the exception of a few, their strength lies in being played together. For me, it's 1776>Les Mis>POTO (ALW ripped off Puccini)>Hamilton. But I loved Hamilton. I just feel like it'll never hold the same emotional meaning for me, since I have more stories behind the others than "I was part of a program and we went to see Hamilton and I didn't know what it was but thought it was really good at the end"
    That's a good point actually. Like, trying to send songs to my friends to get them to listen to it is really tricky because there's so many style changes and Burn is an entirely different song to Wait for It and neither of them are anything like My Shot or One Last Time (I had the album on repeat pretty solidly for about 6 weeks, occasionally listening to other stuff inbetween). I was surprised I liked it so much, I don't know anything about the history, I generally don't like rap, so apart from the fact there was period costumes and my friend was really into it I don't think I'd have ever checked it out on my own. I am fond of Les Miserables but nothing has taken over my life the way Hamilton has in a very long time.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good point actually. Like, trying to send songs to my friends to get them to listen to it is really tricky because there's so many style changes and Burn is an entirely different song to Wait for It and neither of them are anything like My Shot or One Last Time (I had the album on repeat pretty solidly for about 6 weeks, occasionally listening to other stuff inbetween). I was surprised I liked it so much, I don't know anything about the history, I generally don't like rap, so apart from the fact there was period costumes and my friend was really into it I don't think I'd have ever checked it out on my own. I am fond of Les Miserables but nothing has taken over my life the way Hamilton has in a very long time.
    Hamilton's something you can really sit and listen to. It's why I listen to more classic rock than classical. But I'd rather have Sinatra on my iPod than Hamilton. Also I just can't stand Dear Theodosia. Leslie Odom, Jr.'s voice is sheer perfection, and then LMM sings, and I love him but UGH

ReputationRep:
    Hamilton's something you can really sit and listen to. It's why I listen to more classic rock than classical. But I'd rather have Sinatra on my iPod than Hamilton. Also I just can't stand Dear Theodosia. Leslie Odom, Jr.'s voice is sheer perfection, and then LMM sings, and I love him but UGH
    Hamilton kind of forces you to focus on it, you can't just keep it on in the background. I have both, although I lost my ipod charger so I haven't been able to listen to either of them on my ipod in weeks. It depends what kind of mood I'm in though, my ipod varies. There is a ridiculous amount of soundtracks on it though.

ReputationRep:
    Hamilton kind of forces you to focus on it, you can't just keep it on in the background. I have both, although I lost my ipod charger so I haven't been able to listen to either of them on my ipod in weeks. It depends what kind of mood I'm in though, my ipod varies. There is a ridiculous amount of soundtracks on it though.
    I've heard it so many times that I can leave it in the background, to be honest. Plus, since I was already familiar with the history and I've seen the show, it's not like I need to catch everything to understand it. I know the soundtrack feeling! I have an iPod shuffle and it has next to no storage, so I rotate stuff.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am closing this thread, as nice as it is, as it doesn't really belong here.

ReputationRep:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.