Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been researching for the last two months on UK universities to apply to and I just the need the last piece to the puzzle.

I will be applying (next year) to Oxford PPE, UCL PPE, LSE Gov't & History. The main problem is how do I create a personal statement that pleases both Oxford and LSE. From what I have heard is that both universities are extremely picky, and there is no one in my area that has any experience with UK schools.

Are these courses related enough to write a personal statement or will I be putting myself in a stupid position? Any advice to make this kind of personal statement would be greatly appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It is definitely possible to write a personal statement for both PPE and Government and History. In the UK personal statements are very academic and completely different to American college essays. They will expect you to talk about your academic interests, what you want to study and why, give specific examples of your interests and how you've explored them in your own time (books, lectures etc). What aspect of politics and history do you like? Can you find a link between them?

If you haven't already I suggest you read this article. Also, click here to see a library of old personal statements, good place to get some ideas. There is also a personal statement builder which might prove useful.

ReputationRep:
    What reading have you been doing?

(Original post by Americanballa)
    I have been researching for the last two months on UK universities to apply to and I just the need the last piece to the puzzle.

I will be applying (next year) to Oxford PPE, UCL PPE, LSE Gov't & History. The main problem is how do I create a personal statement that pleases both Oxford and LSE. From what I have heard is that both universities are extremely picky, and there is no one in my area that has any experience with UK schools.

Are these courses related enough to write a personal statement or will I be putting myself in a stupid position? Any advice to make this kind of personal statement would be greatly appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    The difficulty is that LSE are very particular about their PS requirements and except it to be tailored to their course, so mention of philosophy and economics is going to be very risky for them, but relevant to Oxford and UCL

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the personal statement library. Read some of the ps which were written by those who got an offer from the uni that you want. You'll get to know more about what the admission tutor's looking for.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    The difficulty is that LSE are very particular about their PS requirements and except it to be tailored to their course, so mention of philosophy and economics is going to be very risky for them, but relevant to Oxford and UCL
    They could talk about economic history?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    They could talk about economic history?
    While they do link, the admissions tutors would expect something at the beginning saying (or implying) something along the lines of 'I am interested in government and history' (LSE) or 'I am interested in philosophy, politics and economics' (Oxford and UCL) and there's not enough of a link for that

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't I just talk about books that relate philosophy and economics in a historical context? Also from what I have been hearing, LSE is far more strict about their PS than Oxford. So should I tailor it more to LSE and let my (stellar) academic record and good TSA score (hopefully) speak for themselves for Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't I just talk about books that relate philosophy and economics in a historical context? Also from what I have been hearing, LSE is far more strict about their PS than Oxford. So should I tailor it more to LSE and let my (stellar) academic record and good TSA score (hopefully) speak for themselves for Oxford?
    TSA score is useful, very useful. Good/stellar academic records are standard in Oxbridge applications. The TSA includes and essay section, as I'm sure you'll know, so it's a good idea to read in order to prepare for that.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Is there a reason you're applying for government and history at LSE and not gov & econ or pol & phil which will be closer to your choices elsewhere?

LSE G&H and PPE elsewhere is going to be very difficult to pull off
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad...rnment.aspx#Q3
    For Government, we are looking for an original and well written statement which demonstrates your awareness of and genuine interest in current political issues. We are interested in your views and opinions as well as the experiences you have had which have resulted in your desire to focus on this exciting field of study. Your extra-curricular activities will be taken into account, particularly where they provide evidence of your motivation and desire to succeed, however, they are deemed to be less significant than your academic qualities. The main point to remember is that the majority of your personal statement should be based around your subject interest and enthusiasm. The selectors are keen to know why you wish to study a particular degree programme, whether there are any aspects of specific interest to you, how it relates to your current academic studies and what additional reading or other activities you have undertaken which have led you to apply for this particular degree programmes. Work experience, particularly if it is related to the study of Government or Politics, is considered useful but it is not essential.

For the dual-honours degree programmes an equal interest in both aspects is essential, as you will be devoting a similar amount of time to the study of each discipline. It is also worth remembering that you may find that you have slightly less freedom in the specific mix of optional courses available to you during your studies when following a dual-honours programme compared to a single-honours one. Above all you need to ensure that you can convince not just the Government Department's selector, but also the other Department's selector that you are serious about your degree choice.

If your main interest is Economics, International Relations, History or Philosophy, the Government department's dual-honours programmes may not be appropriate, since they are designed to allow students to develop their understanding of Government and Politics through the in-depth study of the two closely related disciplines and hence acquire a broad range of transferable skills. However, one of the many benefits of undertaking a combined degree programme is that it allows you to acquire a wider knowledge base.
    SO basically to be in with any chance of success at LSE you're going to need to have 50:50 split between politics and history... which will be a dreadful PS for PPE as you're ignoring 2/3 of the content

This isn't necessarily a major problem for Oxford but elsewhere it is likely to cause issues.

Personal statements should show evidence of interest in the topic of the degree but not necessarily knowledge of the subject.

We realise that many people do not have the opportunity to study politics, economics or philosophy at school and so we do not expect you to know about these subjects before applying.

We would like to see interest of one or two of these areas, although if you are applying for a different degree course elsewhere, we are quite happy for you to focus your personal statement on that degree for the other university's application.

We have the time to interview those applicants that we shortlist and personal statements do not play a significant role in our shortlisting decisions. We may use your personal statement to inform our discussion at interview, but we do not use its contents to award places as they are not written under controlled conditions.

We are also pleased to see evidence of hard work, time management and persistence in learning (of any area) in your personal statement.
    http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/index.php/ppe-faq

ReputationRep:
    I am not applying to an econ course at LSE because I don't have AP Calc BC scores to qualify for any math required course.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a reason why it wouldn't be as much a problem at Oxford? Also is there any other course at LSE like Government which would be better suited for the personal statement?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    It's not as much of a problem at Oxford because they don't put as much importance on the PS - they have the TSA scores and the interview to make a decision from as well.

As for other courses at LSE, I would imagine they would be the maths-based ones. I don't know the courses inside out, but you could look at their website to see if there are any more similar ones

ReputationRep:
    So basically in conclusion focus more on LSE's course due to its pickiness and only mention small parts of philosophy and economics for Oxford?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    So basically in conclusion focus more on LSE's course due to its pickiness and only mention small parts of philosophy and economics for Oxford?
    In theory, but you need to find a better fit for LSE so that Oxford and UCL (cos they are likely to put more of an emphasis on the PS than Oxford) don't think you want to go there. Does LSE do politics and philosophy, for example?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, LSE has a politics and philosophy course. In fact, I was thinking about applying to that course and if I get in (and get rejected at Oxford) then I would transfer to Government and History within the first couple of weeks at LSE. Or apply to Gov't & History at LSE and History & Politics at Oxford. The main factor is that I am not hugely interested in philosophy and plan to drop it after the first year of Oxford (if i get in).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, LSE has a politics and philosophy course. In fact, I was thinking about applying to that course and if I get in (and get rejected at Oxford) then I would transfer to Government and History within the first couple of weeks at LSE. Or apply to Gov't & History at LSE and History & Politics at Oxford. The main factor is that I am not hugely interested in philosophy and plan to drop it after the first year of Oxford (if i get in).
    Changing courses in UK universities is not always a simple matter and may not be allowed. In the case of LSE transfers departments have to have space (unlikely) and you need to meet all the entry criteria. And then your request to transfer has to be approved by a subcommittee (which likely only meets once a term). http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/studen.../transfer.aspx

If you don't want to study philosophy then don't apply for PPE anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)

Is it feasible to apply to Economic History and PPE/Economics and Politics?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...rimary_content
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by gg8798)
    Is it feasible to apply to Economic History and PPE/Economics and Politics?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...rimary_content
    For LSE i would say either of those combinations would be problematic I'm afraif

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.