Turn on thread page Beta

Imperial MSc Finance Accounting or MSc Investment and Wealth Management watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Well basically I have written my personal statement and short answers for the questions they asked for the IWM course. However, here is the dilemma.

I plan to venture into the asset management industry. However, I would still like to keep my options open. I might actually go into Investment Banking or return to Corporate Banking. Although I aim on going into AM, I do not want to close/restrict myself. I am not sure if studying the IWM will make me focus only on investment and will not provide me with the skills required in other financial sectors. But ofcourse, if I go back to work in my family business, I can still use this knowledge.

As for the FA, it will equip me with the necessary base for IB or CB. Furthermore, it will not be as quantitative the IWM. My undergraduate degree did not have alot of mathematics courses, but I did study accounting.

So I am not sure what course I should apply to. Any suggestions or help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

P.s. I am still waiting for an offer from LSE in A&F.

ReputationRep:
    bump?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karan.n)
    bump?
    Hey mate, I've applied for the IWM course too.

I don't think the course will restrict you very much to be honest. Imperial's name will improve any individuals prospects and not to mention Imperial is a target university. Also, if you look at investment banking graduate schemes most of them state you can apply from any background and does not need to specifically be finance. So I wouldn't worry much about the course restricting you. I'd say the transferable skills and the name will be more than enough to at the minimum get you an interview for most finance jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blelow88)
    Hey mate, I've applied for the IWM course too.

I don't think the course will restrict you very much to be honest. Imperial's name will improve any individuals prospects and not to mention Imperial is a target university. Also, if you look at investment banking graduate schemes most of them state you can apply from any background and does not need to specifically be finance. So I wouldn't worry much about the course restricting you. I'd say the transferable skills and the name will be more than enough to at the minimum get you an interview for most finance jobs.
    Hey man,

Thanks for the reply. I decided to apply for the Finance and Accounting, and the IWM as my insurance. That is a really great advice though.However, I',m still waiting for a decision to be made my Imperial. Have you heard back from them?

ReputationRep:
    Hey man,

Thanks for the reply. I decided to apply for the Finance and Accounting, and the IWM as my insurance. That is a really great advice though.However, I',m still waiting for a decision to be made my Imperial. Have you heard back from them?
    My undergraduate is in Accounting and Finance so I figured IWM would be a better choice to diversify the experience I already have. I applied near end of February and I'm still waiting for the reply. Maybe this week or the next I guess.

Where else did you apply if you dont mind me asking? Apart from Imperial, I'm pretty torn between St Andrews/Kings College for Banking and Finance MSc and Cass Investment Management

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blelow88)
    My undergraduate is in Accounting and Finance so I figured IWM would be a better choice to diversify the experience I already have. I applied near end of February and I'm still waiting for the reply. Maybe this week or the next I guess.

Where else did you apply if you dont mind me asking? Apart from Imperial, I'm pretty torn between St Andrews/Kings College for Banking and Finance MSc and Cass Investment Management
    I applied to Imperial, Warwick (Acc and Fin - conditional), Cass (Investment Management - conditional) and UCL (Management). Just sent in my UCL application (since its my previous uni im not too worried). On the other hand, I just got my offer for the MSc Finance and Accounting from Imperial, so I will probably firm it. I sent it mid Feb. You can call to ask them when you can expect a reply by.

Id say Cass Business School has a good reputation (im not too familiar with STA reputation). But you might have to decide for yourself if you would like to stay in London. Do you mind me asking your profile?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Imperial, Warwick (Acc and Fin - conditional), Cass (Investment Management - conditional) and UCL (Management). Just sent in my UCL application (since its my previous uni im not too worried). On the other hand, I just got my offer for the MSc Finance and Accounting from Imperial, so I will probably firm it. I sent it mid Feb. You can call to ask them when you can expect a reply by.

Id say Cass Business School has a good reputation (im not too familiar with STA reputation). But you might have to decide for yourself if you would like to stay in London. Do you mind me asking your profile?
    Congratulations on the offer!

Maybe I'll get my decision this week then. Fingers crossed. I've heard Cass has a good reputation in London but am quite unsure as I've also read lots of conflicting information regarding its reputation. Also, I really value international reputation as I would like to work in Hong Kong in the future as well so I think Kings and St A might edge Cass.

Currently on 67% from my second year so I'm hoping to bump it up to a first for this final year. Did internships in tax and audit in mid tier and big4 accounting firms since my first year at university and also involved in my university investment and trading society. So I hope that'll add weight to my profile. I didn't do the GMAT.

ReputationRep:

Hey,

Congrats on your offer (last year, I know lol).

I'm currently busy with my application (I will apply when applications open).
    Would you mind sharing your profile?

With regards to academic achievement, overall I achieved a poor 60% in my first year but did better in my second year (got 75% in Finance) and I'm currently sitting at 70% for Finance in my 3rd year (trying to bump it to 75%).

Do they look at overall grade or specific ones (like for a quantitative subject)?

Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.