Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my Current part-time job has offered me to work a full time during the summer until I start back uni in August. Should I accept this offer? What if I got accepted for the internship I applied for? What is the best thing to do in this case. Let me job know that I applied for an internship and the possibility I will cancel? Because if I lost both I'm definitely going to have problems with paying for my rent this summer. I really need this internship to build my CV a little
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by dan1011)
    Hi, my Current part-time job has offered me to work a full time during the summer until I start back uni in August. Should I accept this offer? What if I got accepted for the internship I applied for? What is the best thing to do in this case. Let me job know that I applied for an internship and the possibility I will cancel? Because if I lost both I'm definitely going to have problems with paying for my rent this summer. I really need this internship to build my CV a little
    Hi there,

If rent is an issue, definitely keep a hold of your summer job until you hear back from the internship. While improving your CV is important, making sure you can live comfortably is by far more significant.

If you are already working at the same place as the summer job, think about talking to a manager about it. Most places will have come across this situation when employing students; just ensure that you give them enough notice about it.

As for personal experience, I have taken summers away from a job which I later returned to, just needed to make sure I gave them heads up of the dates I would be away.

Hope this helps

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

ReputationRep:
    You need income, so it'd be silly to jeopardise your job. That said, you'll typically learn much more on an internship and ultimately put yourself a head of graduates without that level of experience when it comes to finding a job after uni.

I wouldn't commit to full-time over summer just yet. I can't see your boss looking at the situation very favourably if you let them think they'll have a body over summer then pull out. Let them you'd love to do it, but you've applied for an internship and will confirm when you've heard back from that.

Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.