Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Only 36 (NOT 80) FTSE 100 businesses signed the pro-EU letter to Cameron Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...EU-letter.html

So it appears according to the 'in' camp that all top businesses support EU membership yet only 36 out of 100 signed a letter of support.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    They may well support it but not want to put them names to a letter. Some companies will be very wary of publicly backing anything. This quote likely speaks for much of the business world :

Marc Bolland, the outgoing chief executive of Marks and Spencer, signed the letter, but the company insisted the Dutchman took part in a ‘personal capacity’ and added: ‘We believe it is a decision for the people of Britain to make.’

ReputationRep:
    It is very politically sensitive topic which I'm sure many companies want to stay out of fear of losing customers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    They may well support it but not want to put them names to a letter. Some companies will be very wary of publicly backing anything. This quote likely speaks for much of the business world :

Marc Bolland, the outgoing chief executive of Marks and Spencer, signed the letter, but the company insisted the Dutchman took part in a ‘personal capacity’ and added: ‘We believe it is a decision for the people of Britain to make.’
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    It is very politically sensitive topic which I'm sure many companies want to stay out of fear of losing customers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If as the 'in' camp say, a leave would be catastrophic and destroy business, they would most likely campaign to stay and would have signed the letter.

Nonetheless, my main point is the 'in' camp and their project fear tactics of 80 FTSE 100 associations when in reality it was just 36.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Arsenal96)
    If as the 'in' camp say, a leave would be catastrophic and destroy business, they would most likely campaign to stay and would have signed the letter.

Nonetheless, my main point is the 'in' camp and their project fear tactics of 80 FTSE 100 associations when in reality it was just 36.
    I think you underestimate the lengths companies will go to to avoid any sort of controversy. Leaning one way or another will damage their business, as supporters may boycott. Also if the companies feel their preferred outlook is likely they won't want to risk the above for a negligible poll boost.

Just 36 of the biggest companies doing business here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which does NOT mean that the other 64 want the opposite. 36 are in the 'stay' campaign, and the rest are remaining neutral...

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm....You might not appreciate the financial/economical implication, but 36 blue chip companies uniting to issue a political statement remains a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    So how many of the remaining FTSE100 bosses signed the counter letter calling for us to leave the EU?

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt many of them will want to incur the financial cost of packing up and moving to another country.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.