Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My daughter has just come back from her 3rd test which she has failed. The tester said there was a pole in the back of his chair sticking in his back, so it was not possible to do an emergency stop. She was told to drive for longer instead. She made a mistake in the last part of the test. Failing on one major, again! The test lasted for an hour. Is this normal. Doesn't seem right to me. Can you replace an emergency stop with and extra 15mins of driving?
    This all seems like a money making machine!

ReputationRep:
    why would he have a pole?

ReputationRep:
    The pole bit seems shady. But maybe your daughter needs more lessons? Harsh but true not everyone passes 1st time and generally if you fail the 3rd test you clearly need more lessons..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kendall2)
    The pole bit seems shady. But maybe your daughter needs more lessons? Harsh but true not everyone passes 1st time and generally if you fail the 3rd test you clearly need more lessons..
    i passed fourth time what are you saying x)

ReputationRep:
    That sounds really odd! Was her instructor in the car too?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by PrideauxX)
    My daughter has just come back from her 3rd test which she has failed. The tester said there was a pole in the back of his chair sticking in his back, so it was not possible to do an emergency stop. She was told to drive for longer instead. She made a mistake in the last part of the test. Failing on one major, again! The test lasted for an hour. Is this normal. Doesn't seem right to me. Can you replace an emergency stop with and extra 15mins of driving?
    This all seems like a money making machine!
    I failed my test three times too.

What was the major fault that he failed her for? The pole?

You do the emergency stop in addition to your other manoevre and not everyone does one. I only did the emergency stop on my fourth test. The test should take about 40-45 minutes, so so long as she wasn't driving for longer than this, the examiner hasn't done anything wrong by not doing the emergency stop.

It might be a good idea to make sure the car is free from any objects which might cause a distraction. You don't want to give the examiner any reason to feel like you're not ready to pass.

It's really frustrating to fail but she shouldn't get disheartened - just book in the next one and try again.

It might be a good idea to look over the reasons why she's failed so far - if it's all for similar reasons maybe she needs a few more lessons covering those areas?

ReputationRep:
    with only 4 minors i dont think she needs anymore lessons.. thanks for your advice.. lol

ReputationRep:
    with only 4 minors i dont think she needs anymore lessons.. thanks for your advice.. lol
    number of minors can vary, I passed on my fourth test. On my third one I got 3 minors but I had extra practise in my dads car which I felt helped me hugely.

Is she failing on the same thing all the time?

ReputationRep:
    The length of the test is not decided by the examiner, it is a legal process. They would not allow the test to take place if there is any risk to their health and safety, so the pole seems like a misunderstanding.

Has her driving been assessed by a different instructor? Have you checked their instructor licence and asked their qualifications? Instructors are graded and many do additional professional qualifications, as with most things you do get what you pay for.

ReputationRep:
    She also committed a serious fault. Either she did something potentially dangerous, executed a manoeuvre significantly far from the defined outcome or broke the law. She does need some tuition in remedying what went wrong and consolidating the remedy.

Regarding the length of the test, I really think there has been a misunderstanding. Being unable to perform an emergency stop doesn't automatically add extra time to the test. The examiner may have said something like "We won't be able to complete that exercise, just drive on as normal instead." If traffic congestion or similar made the test last an hour (it does happen) then your daughter may have put two and two together. And made five.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.