Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my last year of sixth form and I've missed a lot of school over the last few years due to mental health issues and more recently a sleep disorder (my doctors aren't sure whether it's delayed sleep phase disorder or narcolepsy). This has meant my grades have really suffered, especially since the stress of exams makes it very difficult for me to stay awake during them. Despite getting an A, B and a D in my AS mocks I ended up with a U, D and an E.

I'm retaking 4/5 exams as well as doing A2 and I really think I should have just dropped out last year. My attendance is still as bad as usual (like 65%) and the stress of missing school just makes my physical and mental health worse. It really pisses me off that the education system has no regard for people like me because I am intelligent and I can get good grades.

Although I know that I will not be getting good grades, I am lucky enough to have 95k in savings which I'll get when I turn 25... I know this is a lot of money so should I even really care about school? Every time I skip school I feel really guilty about it because I feel like I'm not going to be able to get a job that I'm interested in but then again, I'll have enough money in a few years to go to uni and i could retake my exams in the meantime.

Am I being stupid for worrying so much about school? All I can think about is whether I should or shouldn't do my school work or revise or whatever but like? Does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolesharp)
    I'm currently in my last year of sixth form and I've missed a lot of school over the last few years due to mental health issues and more recently a sleep disorder (my doctors aren't sure whether it's delayed sleep phase disorder or narcolepsy). This has meant my grades have really suffered, especially since the stress of exams makes it very difficult for me to stay awake during them. Despite getting an A, B and a D in my AS mocks I ended up with a U, D and an E.

I'm retaking 4/5 exams as well as doing A2 and I really think I should have just dropped out last year. My attendance is still as bad as usual (like 65%) and the stress of missing school just makes my physical and mental health worse. It really pisses me off that the education system has no regard for people like me because I am intelligent and I can get good grades.

Although I know that I will not be getting good grades, I am lucky enough to have 95k in savings which I'll get when I turn 25... I know this is a lot of money so should I even really care about school? Every time I skip school I feel really guilty about it because I feel like I'm not going to be able to get a job that I'm interested in but then again, I'll have enough money in a few years to go to uni and i could retake my exams in the meantime.

Am I being stupid for worrying so much about school? All I can think about is whether I should or shouldn't do my school work or revise or whatever but like? Does it matter?
    Well the more school work you do now the easier it will be in the future should you choose to retake.
    You are very fortunate in having your savings however as you say you will want a job that will keep you interested and those savings wont last forever and you will need a career.
    Hopefully the more the doctors understand your condition the more they can help and your attendance can improve.
    For now you are in six form so just keep giving it your best shot! You did great in mocks so try to be positive your know youre capable of doing well

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.