Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there

Just thought I wanted to start a thread to discuss various theories about undertale,
    as well as its various characters (Especially sans, I love sans).

Don't worry, you won't have a bad time

ReputationRep:
    Rainbow Student I have reason to believe you are a fan of Mettaton (Totally did not stalk your thread)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOpinion)
    Rainbow Student I have reason to believe you are a fan of Mettaton (Totally did not stalk your thread)
    Hahahaha lol XD Thank you for the mention

I do like Mettaton I like all the characters tbh :rofl:

Oh wait I didn't even read the OP's comment :lol:

Well got a thread to look into, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow Student)
    Hahahaha lol XD Thank you for the mention

I do like Mettaton I like all the characters tbh :rofl:

Oh wait I didn't even read the OP's comment :lol:

Well got a thread to look into, thanks
    You're welcome ahah.

How can you prefer mettaton over temi though?

I may have to post theories myself, I don't know how many on here like undertale

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay fair enough

I think that Papyrus is a precious cinnamon roll too good for this world but that's fact not theory XD

Hmm

Theories

Okay headcanons first:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Well I like to headcanon Mettaton as a feminine trans man and also gay or pansexual, not sure which one yet. Why? Well in ghost form he's genderless but in his true form, which he is delighted to debut, he is male, so it's kind of like transitioning from an assigned-neutral-at-birth (anab) person into a man. Which technically would make him transgender in its general definition. Idk if anab is a thing but why not. So yeah as he happily transitioned from gender neutral to truly male, he is trans. He is however 'feminine' presenting but that's irrelevant. Trans men can be flamboyant and he is fabulous as hell. As for gay or pan, idk why, they just seem to suit him best.

Also Papy may be at least some kind of polysexual but I don't have any evidence or reason behind this XD

Alphys is pansexual, of course. Some headcanon her as bi, some as poly and some as pan but I go for pan.

The other ones are more or less canon anyway.
    Theories:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The hooded river guy is Gaster, probably.

Sans knows Gaster, and I believe that he got Gaster blasters from him but in addition, he was given the power of timeline knowledge, hence his awareness. Makes sense as Gaster is mysterious and could have well given Sans his eponymous weapons, and the awareness too. Or maybe he gave him the magic power to be aware and summon Gaster Blasters. Actually yeah I like that one, it covers it pretty well. Yes, Gaster gave Sans magic which is why he is aware and can summon such magic greateness. The awareness was just a burden that came with the magic powers.

Something like this:

Sans asks Gaster for magic powers.

He agrees, but he must live with the consequences of awareness.

He takes it, and now he is magical but also aware of timelines and existence.

I also think that Sans is depressed because of his awareness, hence why he doesn't bother anymore.

Finally, I think Napstablook may be depressed because his cousin is no longer a ghost, leaving him to be the only ghost left. Then again, maybe not. Just an idea.

So yeah that's my thoughts on Undertale in a nutshell

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome ahah.

How can you prefer mettaton over temi though?

I may have to post theories myself, I don't know how many on here like undertale
    Haha.

Because he is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL And FABULOUS <3

Lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay fair enough

I think that Papyrus is a precious cinnamon roll too good for this world but that's fact not theory XD

Hmm

Theories

Okay headcanons first:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Well I like to headcanon Mettaton as a feminine trans man and also gay or pansexual, not sure which one yet. Why? Well in ghost form he's genderless but in his true form, which he is delighted to debut, he is male, so it's kind of like transitioning from an assigned-neutral-at-birth (anab) person into a man. Which technically would make him transgender in its general definition. Idk if anab is a thing but why not. So yeah as he happily transitioned from gender neutral to truly male, he is trans. He is however 'feminine' presenting but that's irrelevant. Trans men can be flamboyant and he is fabulous as hell. As for gay or pan, idk why, they just seem to suit him best.

Also Papy may be at least some kind of polysexual but I don't have any evidence or reason behind this XD

Alphys is pansexual, of course. Some headcanon her as bi, some as poly and some as pan but I go for pan.

The other ones are more or less canon anyway.
    Theories:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The hooded river guy is Gaster, probably.

Sans knows Gaster, and I believe that he got Gaster blasters from him but in addition, he was given the power of timeline knowledge, hence his awareness. Makes sense as Gaster is mysterious and could have well given Sans his eponymous weapons, and the awareness too. Or maybe he gave him the magic power to be aware and summon Gaster Blasters. Actually yeah I like that one, it covers it pretty well. Yes, Gaster gave Sans magic which is why he is aware and can summon such magic greateness. The awareness was just a burden that came with the magic powers.

Something like this:

Sans asks Gaster for magic powers.

He agrees, but he must live with the consequences of awareness.

He takes it, and now he is magical but also aware of timelines and existence.

I also think that Sans is depressed because of his awareness, hence why he doesn't bother anymore.

Finally, I think Napstablook may be depressed because his cousin is no longer a ghost, leaving him to be the only ghost left. Then again, maybe not. Just an idea.

So yeah that's my thoughts on Undertale in a nutshell
    My favorite theory so far is...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It seemed to me that whatever unhappy past that Chara had, had caused 'Them to be so determined to destroy both human and Monster kind, to the point it has to be made inevidable (By corrupting ALL timelines)
    Before the events of Frisk, Chara went up the mountain and fell into the underground with a possible malicious intention (hinted by the tape in the true lab). 'They then poisoned Asgore with Asriel. Later on, which is implied to be a suicide, Chara felt ill and in 'Their death wish, Asriel crosses the barrier to let 'Them see the golden flowers, but instead attracting human attention. It is then revealed that 'They want to murder the village but Asriel opposes 'Their plan and this end up Astriel letting the humans killed him, and he died when returning to the undeground (and Chara buried in the flower bed). This tragedy results in Asgore to kill any human that fell into the underground
    Later when Frisk fell, as implied in the genocide route, Chara possess 'Them but was too weak to gain control. As the player did the genocide route, Chara's influcences and determination started to grow and eventually override Frisk's, thus sucessfully possessing him. Chara then destroys the game at the end of the genocide route
    After another genocide run, Chara will be confused about the player's motives and suggest to do another route. While in an out universe perspective this is simply a suggestion to the player to try a different route in these multiroute games, Chara's malicious intent suggest it can be explained in universe as follows:
    THEORY
    Chara probably had a very thorough understanding (almost on par with that of the game developers, since only developers know that the genocide has a global variable that encodes the consequences) of the world 'They are living in. It is possible 'They had been planning this from the very beginning since 'Their fall into the mountain, and manipulate both the monsters, the player, the determination, the SAVE, LOAD, RESET, TRUE RESET, ERASE (and possibly the program code itself) in order to cumulate to the outcome of making the True pacifist route accessible to 'Them,
    Post genocide, Chara offer the player to reset the game at the cost of their soul. This allows Chara to enter the True pacifist ending timeline (which otherwise is not possible for 'Them). Now upon reaching the end, implied by the crossing outs of the photos, 'They have killed all monsters, and 'Their next step (which is possible because 'They have absorbed both their and Frisk's soul), which is the true aim, is to destroy all humans in the pacifist timeline
    With all timelines (pacifist, Genocide and possibly neutral) corrupted with 'Their goal, only then 'They considered 'They had destroyed all humans

ReputationRep:
    My favorite theory so far is...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It seemed to me that whatever unhappy past that Chara had, had caused 'Them to be so determined to destroy both human and Monster kind, to the point it has to be made inevidable (By corrupting ALL timelines)
    Before the events of Frisk, Chara went up the mountain and fell into the underground with a possible malicious intention (hinted by the tape in the true lab). 'They then poisoned Asgore with Asriel. Later on, which is implied to be a suicide, Chara felt ill and in 'Their death wish, Asriel crosses the barrier to let 'Them see the golden flowers, but instead attracting human attention. It is then revealed that 'They want to murder the village but Asriel opposes 'Their plan and this end up Astriel letting the humans killed him, and he died when returning to the undeground (and Chara buried in the flower bed). This tragedy results in Asgore to kill any human that fell into the underground
    Later when Frisk fell, as implied in the genocide route, Chara possess 'Them but was too weak to gain control. As the player did the genocide route, Chara's influcences and determination started to grow and eventually override Frisk's, thus sucessfully possessing him. Chara then destroys the game at the end of the genocide route
    After another genocide run, Chara will be confused about the player's motives and suggest to do another route. While in an out universe perspective this is simply a suggestion to the player to try a different route in these multiroute games, Chara's malicious intent suggest it can be explained in universe as follows:
    THEORY
    Chara probably had a very thorough understanding (almost on par with that of the game developers, since only developers know that the genocide has a global variable that encodes the consequences) of the world 'They are living in. It is possible 'They had been planning this from the very beginning since 'Their fall into the mountain, and manipulate both the monsters, the player, the determination, the SAVE, LOAD, RESET, TRUE RESET, ERASE (and possibly the program code itself) in order to cumulate to the outcome of making the True pacifist route accessible to 'Them,
    Post genocide, Chara offer the player to reset the game at the cost of their soul. This allows Chara to enter the True pacifist ending timeline (which otherwise is not possible for 'Them). Now upon reaching the end, implied by the crossing outs of the photos, 'They have killed all monsters, and 'Their next step (which is possible because 'They have absorbed both their and Frisk's soul), which is the true aim, is to destroy all humans in the pacifist timeline
    With all timelines (pacifist, Genocide and possibly neutral) corrupted with 'Their goal, only then 'They considered 'They had destroyed all humans

That is very interesting and provides ground for good discussion :yy:

ReputationRep:
    That is very interesting and provides ground for good discussion :yy:
    Have you done the Genocide route?

ReputationRep:
    Have you done the Genocide route?
    No, I have yet to play the game actually, I've been watching walkthroughs and reading stuff on it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.