Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I am not sure if anyone can help me with this situation.

I have a formal offer and start date for ao position and preliminary offer for hidden economy. I have accepted the formal offer for the ao, with a start date mid march as the recruitment office have advised me its my choice of what to do. I am also aware that the checks can take upto 20 days and then the start date could be over a month later.

My dilemma is what to do if I receive a start date for the hidden economy role before starting the ao role..... I will have to arrange childcare and will not be able to cancel it at the drop of a hat. Im sure the people in charge of the ao jobs would not be very happy for me to come in for a few weeks and then move on.

i hope this makes sense and whether anyone has been in a similar situation who works for hmrc could advise.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keiramcr)
    Hi everyone.

I am not sure if anyone can help me with this situation.

I have a formal offer and start date for ao position and preliminary offer for hidden economy. I have accepted the formal offer for the ao, with a start date mid march as the recruitment office have advised me its my choice of what to do. I am also aware that the checks can take upto 20 days and then the start date could be over a month later.

My dilemma is what to do if I receive a start date for the hidden economy role before starting the ao role..... I will have to arrange childcare and will not be able to cancel it at the drop of a hat. Im sure the people in charge of the ao jobs would not be very happy for me to come in for a few weeks and then move on.

i hope this makes sense and whether anyone has been in a similar situation who works for hmrc could advise.

Thank you
    Hi Keira

Congrats and well done!!!

HR are saying its OK for you take HE role even though you have accepted formal offer? I am guessing you would like to do the HE one. Can you not decline AO role and just start in April? HE role not due to start until around then as will only just be starting the checks and understand it can take weeks. I'm guessing your checks will be OK already so would just be a matter of a start date.

A little confused by what you meant re childcare though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDeeC)
    Hi Keira

Congrats and well done!!!

HR are saying its OK for you take HE role even though you have accepted formal offer? I am guessing you would like to do the HE one. Can you not decline AO role and just start in April? HE role not due to start until around then as will only just be starting the checks and understand it can take weeks. I'm guessing your checks will be OK already so would just be a matter of a start date.

A little confused by what you meant re childcare though...
    Hi DeeDee

Thank you for replying. I think Im confusing myself. I do not want to decline the AO role unless I have a formal offer for the HE Role (incase). HR have advised me its up to me whether I start the AO Role first or not as the pre-employment checks take upto 20 working days (it took 5.5 weeks last time). They do not have any start dates for the HE Role atm, if the start dates are in stages it could potentially be end May/June before starting.

Due to the above I was planning to accept the AO Role and explain on my first day the situation (arranging childcare now), but if I receive a formal offer for the HE Role before I start then I would have to decline the AO Role; thus potentially having to pay for childcare for a while without working... If I could speak to the manager in the office beforehand, I would feel so much better about it

ReputationRep:
    Hi DeeDee

Thank you for replying. I think Im confusing myself. I do not want to decline the AO role unless I have a formal offer for the HE Role (incase). HR have advised me its up to me whether I start the AO Role first or not as the pre-employment checks take upto 20 working days (it took 5.5 weeks last time). They do not have any start dates for the HE Role atm, if the start dates are in stages it could potentially be end May/June before starting.

Due to the above I was planning to accept the AO Role and explain on my first day the situation (arranging childcare now), but if I receive a formal offer for the HE Role before I start then I would have to decline the AO Role; thus potentially having to pay for childcare for a while without working... If I could speak to the manager in the office beforehand, I would feel so much better about it
    Your welcome.

If you have received an offer for AO, am sure you will have no issues getting a formal offer for HE.

You should ask HR for your manager's contact details to see what they say.

Have you agreed for childcare to start in March?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDeeC)
    Your welcome.

If you have received an offer for AO, am sure you will have no issues getting a formal offer for HE.

You should ask HR for your manager's contact details to see what they say.

Have you agreed for childcare to start in March?
    Thank you, I think I will try that or alternatively send a letter addressed to the department to explain the situation. I honestly do not think I will have a problem with the checks but you never know .... The childcare is not confirmed but will need to be soon if I am starting in March.

I saw another one of your posts, congratulations on your offer also and thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I think I will try that or alternatively send a letter addressed to the department to explain the situation. I honestly do not think I will have a problem with the checks but you never know .... The childcare is not confirmed but will need to be soon if I am starting in March.

I saw another one of your posts, congratulations on your offer also and thank you for your help
    That sounds like a plan.

Assume you are offered HE. Decide which one you prefer, AO or HE. Then think if you are keen to get started now or wait a bit longer. I actually thought they wanted us to be working from April but thought it would be more likely May due to the level of intake.

Aww thank you. I have provisionally accepted now but also have my AC on Thu for TSP scheme so will give me some more time if HE formal offer not likely to be in the next few weeks. I won't know the outcome until end of March for TSP but am chuffed I will hopefully be working with HMRC soon.

ReputationRep:
    Im really pleased to be starting soon and will be happier when all of the checks are over with. The AO sounds like a call centre and would much prefer the HE. Hopefully I will hear soon.

Good luck for Thursday with the TSP scheme. I will let you know if I get any form of reply from a manager of the best course of action. However, I feel that noone would recommend refusing a job until you have a formal offer under your belt

ReputationRep:
    Im really pleased to be starting soon and will be happier when all of the checks are over with. The AO sounds like a call centre and would much prefer the HE. Hopefully I will hear soon.

Good luck for Thursday with the TSP scheme. I will let you know if I get any form of reply from a manager of the best course of action. However, I feel that noone would recommend refusing a job until you have a formal offer under your belt
    The HE role does sound very interesting.

Thank you and good luck to you too. As HE is provisional, you could accept if for now and see what happens after you speak with your manager. If HR said you're free to move to HE after, then that is at least something. The manager will hopefully be understanding of your situation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.