The Student Room Group

Student finance and deferring the year

I'm a third year student and I'm debating deferring the year, I'm currently half way through my studies but as far as I know I still have the option here to resit next year.

The issue is that if I defer now I probably wont receive my April loan but without that loan I literally can't afford to live. I'm in a situation where my parents can't realistically afford to look after me from the end of my house contract to the start of the new term (and there aren't any jobs where I'm from either, no exaggeration I come from the middle of nowhere)

Is there any sort of financial help for situations like this or would I just have to tell student finance straight up and have them cut off my money?
Original post by Mel_x
I'm a third year student and I'm debating deferring the year, I'm currently half way through my studies but as far as I know I still have the option here to resit next year.

The issue is that if I defer now I probably wont receive my April loan but without that loan I literally can't afford to live. I'm in a situation where my parents can't realistically afford to look after me from the end of my house contract to the start of the new term (and there aren't any jobs where I'm from either, no exaggeration I come from the middle of nowhere)

Is there any sort of financial help for situations like this or would I just have to tell student finance straight up and have them cut off my money?

If you were to defer for health reasons and have evidence of that and student finance accept it then you can get an extra 60 days funding. Otherwise you are right, you won't receive any money in April and student finance would most likely declare you to have an overpayment and demand some money back immediately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending