Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So in one of my AS level exams for chemistry last year I ended up getting a C on the easiest exam which I could've got an A in if I hadn't made silly mistakes etc.

When I sat that exam (and every exam I did last year), I just did the questions in the order they're asked, as is the norm I guess. However I was wondering if, only for chemistry, a different technique could benefit me better and stop me dropping the easy marks.

If I started the exam and went through the paper and answered the questions I was confident with and left the questions I was unsure of to come back to at the end, do you think this would help?

I think this could help because I am often reluctant to change an answer ('go with your instinct' I guess), so if I do all the questions and then come back to check, I may think I shouldn't change my original (most likely incorrect) answer. By leaving and returning to a question, I don't have this issue. Also, it helps that if I am really stuck on a question, I may spend ages thinking about it and run out of time. By leaving the ones I'm unsure of until the end, I know exactly how much time I have remaining. As well as this, it may be good to do all of the easy questions first as then my brain will not be fried as early. If I do a difficult question and then the next question is easier, I may be more likely to get this easy one wrong because my brain is now more tired.

On the other hand, I think there are possibilities of it being harmful. For example I may not leave myself enough time at the end to answer the more difficult ones, which will probably be worth more marks. However I'm not sure this is likely because I think I can get the easy questions out of the way in a small amount of time.

I think that the timing is the only negative I can think of but I'm sure there are more that I'm missing. So please comment and let me know if you use this method and/or think this exam technique will be more beneficial and will result in a higher mark, or if you can think of more negatives and why it may perhaps not be a good idea then please let me know!

My apologies that this kinda sounds like an essay, I study sociology too so I'm stuck in essay mode
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Just make sure you answer everything adequately. If you think that'll work for you, go for it :yy:.

Working things in a non-chronological order would not work for me. But I do flick through to see what the latter questions are like, at the start.

ReputationRep:
    I tried doing this on my biology unit 2 exam last year and it was a nightmare. I forgot I had missed out a whole chunk of questions until the last 5 - 10 minutes when I was checking my answers and therefore didn't have time to properly think through my answers or finish. It should be fine though if you're aware of the time and somehow remind yourself you've still got questions to go back too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manexopi)
    I tried doing this on my biology unit 2 exam last year and it was a nightmare. I forgot I had missed out a whole chunk of questions until the last 5 - 10 minutes when I was checking my answers and therefore didn't have time to properly think through my answers or finish. It should be fine though if you're aware of the time and somehow remind yourself you've still got questions to go back too.
    Yeah, my thoughts are that if I know this far in advance that I'm planning on doing it then I shouldn't forget to go back and check. Plus once I get to the end of an exam I do usually do a quick scan through the pages to make sure I have an answer for every question anyway so shouldn't be a problem thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    It doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Just make sure you answer everything adequately. If you think that'll work for you, go for it :yy:.

Working things in a non-chronological order would not work for me. But I do flick through to see what the latter questions are like, at the start.
    That's a really good idea to check the last few questions at the start so I can have an idea of an answer in my head right from the beginning! thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgiaG1107)
    Yeah, my thoughts are that if I know this far in advance that I'm planning on doing it then I shouldn't forget to go back and check. Plus once I get to the end of an exam I do usually do a quick scan through the pages to make sure I have an answer for every question anyway so shouldn't be a problem thanks for the reply
    Yes, if you're planning to do it then it shouldn't be a problem at all. I just got freaked out by the weird exam style/format that I ended up doing something I wasn't used to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.