Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is the best course to do in order to do medical research?

(Original post by 1lastchance)
    What is the best course to do in order to do medical research?
    *scratches his head*

That's a really broad question, especially considering how vast medical research is. Is there any specific area you are more interested in, or way of narrowing it down a tad?

It depends on what you want. If you are interested in research to understand biological processes and pathways, maybe biochemistry or biomedical science are best. If you prefer to look at the drug discovery side of medical research, probably pharmacology. If you think you would like to do something with how the brain works neuroscience. If you have no clue, I would say go for either biochemistry or biomedical science, but try to choose a course that gives you a lot of choice of modules. I did biomedical science at Sussex and there we had no choice for the first two years but we really got a taste of everything (immunology, biochemistry, anatomy, some pharmacology etc.) and then in our final year we got to choose the modules that interested us, which I liked. Also aim for a university with high quality research because your experiences in the lab and the skills you gain are what will matter most when looking for a job or PhD. On the other hand, If you have something specific in mind try to choose a university that does research on what you want, so you can try to get summer projects or a place in your final year project in that lab. I hope this helped.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.