Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, first post on here EVER but feel really stuck at the moment and thought reaching out may help if anyone has been in or is currently in a similar situation. So I started my degree at City University London in September 2012, studying Bsc Mental Health Nursing. To cut a VERY long story short, just as my course end date was literally a stone throw away I became pretty poorly and it was agreed between myself and my uni that I would take a 6 month break (now extended to May 2016). I am originally from North England so when I became poorly I moved back home and I have just begun working again. Basically the problem I have is being able to afford to move back down to London for just 3 months. I have passed all exams and assignments and have around 22 weeks of placement hours to make up, uni said I might be allowed to do 10 weeks up here but the other 12 needs to be down south in the university trust. I have thought about trying to condense 12 weeks into 8 (working crazy hours) I have thought about saving but even saving for the next few months I wouldnt be able to support myself down in London for another 3 without a job and thats beyond hard on top of placement. I just feel unbelievably stuck, all I have ever wanted to be is a nurse and my uni are now saying the ball is in my court whether I return or withdraw. I dont think thats very fair at all because its almost giving me no choice, I have applied for all kinds of funding too btw and the max ive been offered is 300! I just dont see why leeway cant be given on this ocassion for me to do my placement hours up here, its a waste of all that money if i withdrew and i would be devastated. Any advice would be much appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by aimeelq)
    Hi guys, first post on here EVER but feel really stuck at the moment and thought reaching out may help if anyone has been in or is currently in a similar situation. So I started my degree at City University London in September 2012, studying Bsc Mental Health Nursing. To cut a VERY long story short, just as my course end date was literally a stone throw away I became pretty poorly and it was agreed between myself and my uni that I would take a 6 month break (now extended to May 2016). I am originally from North England so when I became poorly I moved back home and I have just begun working again. Basically the problem I have is being able to afford to move back down to London for just 3 months. I have passed all exams and assignments and have around 22 weeks of placement hours to make up, uni said I might be allowed to do 10 weeks up here but the other 12 needs to be down south in the university trust. I have thought about trying to condense 12 weeks into 8 (working crazy hours) I have thought about saving but even saving for the next few months I wouldnt be able to support myself down in London for another 3 without a job and thats beyond hard on top of placement. I just feel unbelievably stuck, all I have ever wanted to be is a nurse and my uni are now saying the ball is in my court whether I return or withdraw. I dont think thats very fair at all because its almost giving me no choice, I have applied for all kinds of funding too btw and the max ive been offered is 300! I just dont see why leeway cant be given on this ocassion for me to do my placement hours up here, its a waste of all that money if i withdrew and i would be devastated. Any advice would be much appreciated!
    That seems quite the difficult predicament to be in. Have you explained this all to your university.
    Has your university got a hardship fund that could help? Could you see if you could live in the hospital accommodation for the 12 weeks you need to spend down there? I doubt the university will let you condense the weeks down I'm afraid, they will probably have limits about how many hours you can work in a week.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.