Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

(Original post by JRKinder)
    No problem! I'm going out now but if you have any more questions just PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medalinpaul)
    Do you think I should do Duke of Edinburgh?
    If you want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Only if you think you would enjoy it or benefit from it personally. Not for the sake of your university application.

ReputationRep:
    Ok! Thank you very much!!
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Only if you think you would enjoy it or benefit from it personally. Not for the sake of your university application.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I think I want to do it!
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    If you want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Can you suggest some books? And d what extra curricular activities did you do?
    I can suggest books!!! I study Physics at A-Level (year 13) and am applying to do Theoretical Physics at Imperial.

Richard Feynman is a great place to start (he is an amazing writer). "Six easy pieces" and "Surely you're joking Mr.Feynman" are both great (and easy to read).

If you need help with anything PM me anytime

I would suggest to try very hard to get loads of A*s at GCSE as since AS is going they might be very important when you are applying to uni. Maybe taking Additional Maths in Y11 could help you out too (only take it if you can handle is though, it's not easy).

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Aww!! Thank you so much!!! I am happy that u suggested a book that is easy to read because with books with really complicated language always makes me lose interest. I like things that are more straight forward and right at the point!!
    Also, I was planning to take advanced maths for GCSE (if I can). I wasn't really sure whether GCSE really mattered much for universities.. I thought A-levels were the only thing they take into consideration!
    But thank you so much!!
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    I can suggest books!!! I study Physics at A-Level (year 13) and am applying to do Theoretical Physics at Imperial.

Richard Feynman is a great place to start (he is an amazing writer). "Six easy pieces" and "Surely you're joking Mr.Feynman" are both great (and easy to read).

If you need help with anything PM me anytime

I would suggest to try very hard to get loads of A*s at GCSE as since AS is going they might be very important when you are applying to uni. Maybe taking Additional Maths in Y11 could help you out too (only take it if you can handle is though, it's not easy).

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Cambridge make it very clear on its website, as does Oxford, that it takes no account of unrelated non-academic activities whatever.
    Imperial doesn't take into account extracurricular activities either, I never did any and it didn't seem to be a problem at all!

ReputationRep:
    Ohh!! Phew!! No more pressure then!!

ReputationRep:
    Also.. I hav a question.. whats a CV used for? Like I mean.. I hear loads of people talk about it but never really knew what it meant!!

It won't make any difference to a Cambridge application, so you'd be doing it only for its own sake.

Also.. I hav a question.. whats a CV used for? Like I mean.. I hear loads of people talk about it but never really knew what it meant!!
    It stands for curriculum vitae and is used for job applications.

ReputationRep:
    It is a short document (one side of A4 for a young inexperienced person, two for someone in mid-career) that enumerates your relevant qualifications and experience, and is used to sell yourself when applying for a job. It is not an essay or anything like a personal statement, in either form or content.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh!! So shud I do Dof E just for the sake of CV?

ReputationRep:
    Ohh.. its not used for university. Is it?

ReputationRep:
    Ohh!! So shud I do Dof E just for the sake of CV?
    Employers are generally even less interested in such things than universities. As with all things in life, of you personally want to do DofE and will get something out of it, then do it; if not, don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok!! Now all is clear.. thank u soo much for patiently answering my questions!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.