Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Living in Sheffield vs Nottingham Watch

• View Poll Results: nottingham or sheffield
    nottingham
    28.57%
    sheffield
    71.43%

ReputationRep:
    Basics i can't pick between hallam and trent (its architecture) i just want to know what nightlife and the cities are like

ReputationRep:
    I'd say fairly similar for night life, Sheffield maybe slightly better as both it's unis are more or less in the centre of the town unlike Nottingham. Nottingham has more olde worlde charm, whereas Sheffield has great views of the hills around it. Nottingham is probably rougher/has more crime too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epattinson)
    Basics i can't pick between hallam and trent (its architecture) i just want to know what nightlife and the cities are like
    Sheffield is a great city! Its got a huge variety of places for students. In fact the only downside about Sheffield: the fact sheffield is built to please students is a pro for you. Sheffield literally gives away the best areas of the city to students. It has loads of bars, clubs, resteraunts etc. for students. I know all of this is biased as I have lived in the city all my life but seriously its true!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I'm a bit biased too, but I moved to Sheffield to study at Hallam six years ago and fell in love with it. I came from Newcastle which is a great city with lots to do but Sheffield felt a bit different.

One of the great things is that you can pretty much get everywhere you want to go on foot. Where you walk depends on what you want! Sheffield is full of festivals, music venues, street art, shopping hotspots and as much green space as Brazil! We've got over 200 parks, which you might not think is too important but when you're spending weeks revising for exams in the summer, there's seriously nothing better than being able to sit out on the grass all day with an ice cream or having a BBQ and a kick about with friends to chill out.

My favourite thing about the city is the food! Sheffield's got lots of restaurants, all the biggies like Wagamamas, Las Iguanas, Zizzis, Akbaars etc but hundreds of local places as well. I've always wanted to do a food crawl down London Road, because there is a huge variety of cuisines from British pub food to Italian, Greek, Polish, Vietnamese and Chinese, Indian, Jamaican, and cake shops galore. The city is big on supporting local business and there's lots of people setting up street food vans, from fresh made pizzas to curry in bread bowls, Asian bao buns and mac and cheese. Peddlers' Market is a monthly street food festival which comes to different venues across a couple of days so you can sample the amazing food local people are conjuring up. Man, I love food.

Anyway, there's loads of other stuff. We've got five cinemas so you can see the Hollywood blockbusters, or independent documentaries, or old classics. We're big on sports and we're home to the English Institute of Sport, Snooker Championships, lots of climbing walls, and running and cycling clubs.

But it has a real village feel to it! We're the fifth biggest city in the UK but it's not at all overwhelming and there's a real community vibe where people help each other to thrive and create great things in the city. It's pretty awesome.

I've gone off on a rant, but I am a total advocate for the city now and don't think I'll be leaving. If you haven't visited, come and have a look but if you come for an open day or a university tour, make sure you save time for exploring the city.

Laura
    (Hallam rep)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.