Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Too many associations are controlled by momentum for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    huh what is being controlled by momentum? Labour know he won't be a viable option so they will get rid of him

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely disgusting behaviour, laughing like a bunch of jumped up grammar school loonys.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    huh what is being controlled by momentum? Labour know he won't be a viable option so they will get rid of him
    The MPs do, all the deluded new members that actually voted him in do not, and that figure is still growing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shreddingfish92)
    it is apparent to me that he will always show a level of respect which is rarely reciprocated by the government
    How do you square that with what you were told in post 55?

ReputationRep:
    lol pretty funny, not gonna lie.

ReputationRep:
    this is for the eyes of the naive electorate ...
    behind closed doors they are all mates ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    How do you square that with what you were told in post 55?
    My post was in reference to how he conducts himself during PMQs, I don't know about his past though I do know he has a dark sense of humor. I don't know how involved he was in the writing of those jokes but they seem to be in poor taste. However, I'm more bothered with how MPs conduct themselves during parliament.

ReputationRep:
    At least they don't fight like in the Ukrainian parliament.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    this is for the eyes of the naive electorate ...
    behind closed doors they are all mates ...
    Yes with other Lab/Con party leaders from what I've seen. I've certainly seen video of them chatting and smiling with each other at a ceremony, for example, and I think Miliband said they sometimes swap parenting tips.

On the other hand, Cameron and Corbyn represent the poles of two very different walks of life and I would be surprised if they were chummy when the cameras aren't looking.

Bit of a low blow to attack someone's dress sense rather than anything to do with the argument at hand. Ad hominem attacks are almost always indicative of a lack of proper retort, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george-90)
    I'm not advocating any policy. Where have you got that idea from?

What is a harsh capitalist? State-run factories would have been just the same or worse. Working conditions were a result of circumstance, not capitalism. A combination of technology, opportunity cost, education, economies of scale, etc. formed the working conditions of the era. Standards of living improved massively, I don't think it is harsh to support that. All this is besides the point.
    A capitalist's "harshness" is, in my view, determined the amount of his or her disregard for ethics, in order to achieve economic success, for example economies of scale. Working conditions brought about by circumstance? What circumstance would that be, other than circumstances created by a capitalist culture?

While the argument as to whether or not capitalism is to blame for poor working conditions in the 19th century is perhaps irrelevant, what is clear is that due to the greedy and corruptible nature of mankind, Capitalism is not an effective economic system, as it relies on money being a transient form which commodities take during trade, but mankind's nature is to collect that which has most worth, and money in this case, is the material good with most use value.

(I'm also really not sure what opportunity cost has to do with the success of capitalism, or are you just trying to disprove my argument with a GCSE economics textbook?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by under8ed)
    Absolutely disgusting behaviour, laughing like a bunch of jumped up grammar school loonys.
    i know but so are most of TSR, they love seeing the conservatives do well because they've grown up with a silver spoon in their mouth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_cash)
    A capitalist's "harshness" is, in my view, determined the amount of his or her disregard for ethics, in order to achieve economic success, for example economies of scale. Working conditions brought about by circumstance? What circumstance would that be, other than circumstances created by a capitalist culture?
    The circumstances would be the ones that I mentioned - "... technology, opportunity cost, education, economies of scale, etc." All of which are features of all economic systems.

While the argument as to whether or not capitalism is to blame for poor working conditions in the 19th century is perhaps irrelevant, what is clear is that due to the greedy and corruptible nature of mankind, Capitalism is not an effective economic system, as it relies on money being a transient form which commodities take during trade, but mankind's nature is to collect that which has most worth, and money in this case, is the material good with most use value.
    ... collect that which has most worth, in order to best improve his or her standard of living. Money is not the material good with the most value either. That would be something like platinum-190 which may exist in the Earth's crust in about 1 part per trillion. There may be a material good with more value per unit, but money is certainly not one. Value is nonetheless subjective. A painting that may have no value to me may have a value equivalent a tonne of platinum to someone else.

(I'm also really not sure what opportunity cost has to do with the success of capitalism, or are you just trying to disprove my argument with a GCSE economics textbook?)
    I'm not trying to disprove your argument. I'm trying to conclude ours so that we can get to the actual point that I was making. Economies of scale was a factor of circumstance that lead to the working conditions of the 19th century - that what I was using it as.

ReputationRep:
    A capitalist's "harshness" is, in my view, determined the amount of his or her disregard for ethics
    Just to be clear, are you suggesting that communists inherently have more regard for ethics than capitalists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyo88)
    i know but so are most of TSR, they love seeing the conservatives do well because they've grown up with a silver spoon in their mouth
    What are you talking about? TSR is chock-a-block with left-leaning people - mostly from a middle-class background as most grow up left-leaning regardless of their background. It's when they get responsibility, get a job and start contributing when they change.

Even if we look at grown up adults in politics. The vast majority of the Labour Party came from relatively privileged backgrounds. That's why they've made it far in the club.

You also say what you say like Corbyn himself didn't grow up even more privileged than even the vast majority of TSR lol. So you can leave your chip-on-the-shoulder class war BS at the door please.

ReputationRep:
    Why are all tories basically that gross rich kid who thinks he's smarter than everyone in lesson but ends up getting Ds in exams
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by djchrishizzle)
    Why are all tories basically that gross rich kid who thinks he's smarter than everyone in lesson but ends up getting Ds in exams
    Name:  1456430301461.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  44.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Presumably, "all" includes David Cameron who got a 1st at Oxford, and Boris Johnson and George Osborne who both got uppers seconds (just to throw out the names of the three most prominent Tories at random)?

ReputationRep:
    brilliant thanks

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron: First in PPE from Oxford
    Jeremy Corbyn: 2 E grades at A Level, dropped out of a polytechnic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Just to be clear, are you suggesting that communists inherently have more regard for ethics than capitalists?
    No, I'd be equally critical of Communism as I am of Capitalism.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.