Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george-90)
    The circumstances would be the ones that I mentioned - "... technology, opportunity cost, education, economies of scale, etc." All of which are features of all economic systems.

... collect that which has most worth, in order to best improve his or her standard of living. Money is not the material good with the most value either. That would be something like platinum-190 which may exist in the Earth's crust in about 1 part per trillion. There may be a material good with more value per unit, but money is certainly not one. Value is nonetheless subjective. A painting that may have no value to me may have a value equivalent a tonne of platinum to someone else.

I'm not trying to disprove your argument. I'm trying to conclude ours so that we can get to the actual point that I was making. Economies of scale was a factor of circumstance that lead to the working conditions of the 19th century - that what I was using it as.

I specifically said "use value". What are you going to do with that platinum other than sell it to get money? As money has a greater use value than platinum, it is more valuable in this sense. Value may be subjective, that is why we have money, in order to provide a universal valuation of commodities. In doing so, Money becomes the commodity with most use value.

The point, I believe, that you were really originally making, was that Jeremy Corbyn was stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    What are you talking about? TSR is chock-a-block with left-leaning people - mostly from a middle-class background as most grow up left-leaning regardless of their background. It's when they get responsibility, get a job and start contributing when they change.

Even if we look at grown up adults in politics. The vast majority of the Labour Party came from relatively privileged backgrounds. That's why they've made it far in the club.

You also say what you say like Corbyn himself didn't grow up even more privileged than even the vast majority of TSR lol. So you can leave your chip-on-the-shoulder class war BS at the door please.
    Just because someone didn't grow up with difficulties doesn't mean they can strive to help those who did. How small minded to think that people's political persuasion should be purely based off their personal interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    What are you talking about? TSR is chock-a-block with left-leaning people - mostly from a middle-class background as most grow up left-leaning regardless of their background. It's when they get responsibility, get a job and start contributing when they change.
    So then why is my Facebook full of graduates with grad jobs moaning about Tories, housing and posting Corbyn memes like this? That person has a mortgage as well. They have a stake in the country or whatever it is you plonkers like to say. The shock of the real world isn't turning them into Tories. My old school acquaintances that say all the things you say said those things when they were in sixth form.
    Spoiler:
    Show

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    So then why is my Facebook full of graduates with grad jobs moaning about Tories, housing and posting Corbyn memes like this? That person has a mortgage as well. They have a stake in the country or whatever it is you plonkers like to say. The shock of the real world isn't turning them into Tories.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Because they hate the Tories and want to fellate Corbyn?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    “If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shoddy furniture let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies" - Albert Einstein

Good to see Corbyn being able to make a joke out of it, though. "I've got to do my tie up, because of the prime minister. He’s actually jealous of the jacket. You know what he’s really jealous of? That I can go shopping in the great shopping centre of the world: Holloway Road N7. And he’s stuck with Bond Street.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...yn-cameron-row

ReputationRep:
    "Aworking man in Parliament should go to the House of Commons in his workdayclothes. He should address the speaker on labour questions, and give hisutterance to the same sentiments, in the same language and in the same mannerthat he is accustomed to utter his sentiments... Above all, he should rememberthat all the Conservatives and Liberals are joined together in the interests ofcapital against Labour."

Keir Hardie the first Labour MP speaking in 1906.

It would seem Tories still hold normal people in contempt.

If left winger had said what Cameron said he would be accused of sneering at the lower classes.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Because they hate the Tories and want to fellate Corbyn?Posted from TSR Mobile
    and the "real world" crap made **** all difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Presumably, "all" includes David Cameron who got a 1st at Oxford, and Boris Johnson and George Osborne who both got uppers seconds (just to throw out the names of the three most prominent Tories at random)?
    Hm I'll rephrase myself then: Why do all tories ACT like that gross rich kid who thinks he's smarter than everyone in lesson but ends up getting Ds in exams

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.