Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not getting In (edited title) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TROD)
    "This offer is subject to your obtaining

300 TARIFF POINTS FROM AT LEAST TWO GCE/VCE A LEVELS.

ADVANCED SUBSIDIARY AND KEY SKILLS QUALIFICATION MAY CONTRIBUTE TO THESE POINTS. GENERAL STUDIES EXCLUDED.

notes on tariff are on the back of this letter"

hence I THOUGHT, i could use Key Skills level 3 ICT (worth 20) and E in Economics AS (20) to knock the points down to 260

e.g. 260 = BBD.

TROD.
    You can, it means as long as you have 2 A levels (not General Studies) and you get to 300 overall you are in.

ReputationRep:
    ive sent hallam another email, tell you the response when i get it

TROD.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the problem, if it says "you may include key skills" in the points, then you can. It doesn't mean they may or may not be considered.

ReputationRep:
    just got the email back

"Dear Tom,

The Psychology offer states "300 TARIFF POINTS FROM AT LEAST TWO GCE/VCE A LEVELS. ADVANCED SUBSIDIARY AND KEY SKILLS QUALIFICATIONS MAY CONTRIBUTE TO THESE POINTS. GENERAL STUDIES EXCLUDED". It does not state that key skills will contribute, they "may" contribute. It has to state this because some applicants will apply to us who are taking 60-80 tariff points worth of key skills and it would not be fair to other applicants if we accept 60-80 points of key skills which is equivalent to another A-level.

The Psychology admissions tutor has said she will look at applicants results on an individual basis and may accept 10-20 points from key skills if they do not reach the 300 points at confirmation."

likely...

TROD.

(Original post by TROD)
    just got the email back

"Dear Tom,

The Psychology offer states "300 TARIFF POINTS FROM AT LEAST TWO GCE/VCE A LEVELS. ADVANCED SUBSIDIARY AND KEY SKILLS QUALIFICATIONS MAY CONTRIBUTE TO THESE POINTS. GENERAL STUDIES EXCLUDED". It does not state that key skills will contribute, they "may" contribute. It has to state this because some applicants will apply to us who are taking 60-80 tariff points worth of key skills and it would not be fair to other applicants if we accept 60-80 points of key skills which is equivalent to another A-level.

The Psychology admissions tutor has said she will look at applicants results on an individual basis and may accept 10-20 points from key skills if they do not reach the 300 points at confirmation."

likely...

TROD.
    Twaddle. For my sanity's sake please speak to UCAS. If they have made you an offer such as the one that you posted then they cannot decided to only count a certain amount of points from key skills (unless they specify that in the offer). They are legally contracted to accept you if you meet the offer they have made. Providing that you meet every condition of your offer by the methods they specify then you MUST ACCEPT YOU!!! They cannot change the rules after making you an offer. The reason it says "may" is that some students cannot offer key skills and if they worded the offers to day "will" it would imply that you have to do it to gain entry. Please speak to someone at UCAS and get them to expalin this over the phone as I am getting very frustrated. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ok i'll email UCAS

TROD.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.