Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you consider/are you considering an apprenticeship? Watch

• View Poll Results: Did you consider/are you considering an apprenticeship?
    Yes- I'm doing/have done one
    2.56%
    Yes- I considered but chose otherwise
    12.27%
    Yes- I am thinking about doing one
    8.35%
    No- I didn't want to do one
    73.25%
    No- I didn't know they existed
    3.58%

ReputationRep:
    When I was at college, apprenticeships weren't even mentioned so I'm curious to see how many people are doing apprenticeships, considered doing them or are thinking about it for the future...

Vote in the poll!

If you didn't consider one, can you remember why not?

ReputationRep:
    Did one when I left school, worked as an apprentice mechanic for 2 years & got my City & Guilds in vehicle fitting. Then worked as a recovery driver for a year. Both stints where great fun and I would recommend them to anyone who enjoys practical work. Decided to go to college & uni now so I can work overseas

ReputationRep:
    I did consider one briefly but quickly changed my mind. I suppose they are ok if you are 16-18 living at home with your parents but no way in hell could I support myself on a ridiculous £3.30ish an hour. And it depends on the apprenticeship; plumbing, electrician etc. is all well and good but when I was job hunting there were things like 'apprentice shop assistant' and 'apprentice baker' what the hell? Its just an excuse for employers to get slave labour by passing it off as an apprenticeship when really it is full time work. You need no skills for those sorts of jobs and it was just taking money off people who needed a job that paid atleast minimum wage.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do one, but there were times I considered them. When I was around 14 or 15 I really, really wanted to go into childcare (nursery nurse). I worked at a nursery one day a week (which I was able to do because I was taught at home and had control of when I did my school work). Even though I'd always been academic I liked the idea of going straight into training for what I wanted to do because working at the nursery had made me happy and making money and leading an adult life straight from school sounded great. When I joined a college to sit my GCSEs (which I wanted to get before any apprenticeship - you kind of need them to go into education) I feel as though my feelings and plans went out the window. Because I was good at academic work my college encouraged me to do academic subjects and I kind of enjoyed academics so I went along with it.

Sometimes I wish I'd listened to my gut a bit more, though. I think apprenticeships and practical/vocational courses shouldn't be advertised as something to do if you can't handle academic work, they should be offered and widely advertised to everyone. They teach important skills and people end up in really valuable jobs, but I feel as though education providers take the attitude that if you're capable of academic work and progressing to university you should take that route instead. I think people should be encouraged to do what makes them happy and be made aware that apprenticeships are an awesome, debt free way to enter a career.

ReputationRep:
    They were never mentioned in my school, but even if they were, I would never have considered doing one. I've wanted to be a teacher since primary school and a degree is essential to become one. If you don't have a degree, you'll get instantly rejected without any consideration, even abroad!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of one because of Degree Apprenticeships, where you get paid to do a Degree, but it depends on the University that is awarding the degree (and of course, the degree).

It would have to be a Uni that people have at least heard of, not necessarily (but would definitely like it to be) a Russell Group Uni, but on par with the education you'd receive there, like East Anglia or Bath. They both have fairly good reputations.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...pprenticeships

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to go to Uni and do a degree. But the career path I want to go down has more than one option and the apprenticeships I've seen pay very well and can get me to where I want to be. Uni is still my first choice as I can fall back on the degree I will get, but if I dont get into my chosen uni, the apprenticeships are a definite, secure back-up plan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.