Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friend came out to me as bi and tried to kiss me?! Watch

I'm a girl, and my friend is a girl, and she's one of my closest, best friends. Today she took us somewhere quiet at break, there's some open field just close to our college and we just went out there. She told me she had something to say and I told her she could tell me anything and after like 10 minutes of her trying to decide whether to tell me or not she told me she was bisexual. Before I could respond she kissed me!!! I was so shocked! I kind of pushed her away and she started crying and apologising and I just stared at her in shock but then I snapped out of it and told her it was fine and not to worry and that we should be getting back to college. We walked back in very painful silence.

It's now really awkward and she just texted me apologising again and now I feel really uncomfortable what do I do/ say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a girl, and my friend is a girl, and she's one of my closest, best friends. Today she took us somewhere quiet at break, there's some open field just close to our college and we just went out there. She told me she had something to say and I told her she could tell me anything and after like 10 minutes of her trying to decide whether to tell me or not she told me she was bisexual. Before I could respond she kissed me!!! I was so shocked! I kind of pushed her away and she started crying and apologising and I just stared at her in shock but then I snapped out of it and told her it was fine and not to worry and that we should be getting back to college. We walked back in very painful silence.

It's now really awkward and she just texted me apologising again and now I feel really uncomfortable what do I do/ say?
    Make it clear that your reaction wasn't about her coming out to you, it was just that you were taken aback by the kiss. She should understand as she has had time to get used to the idea, whereas for you it came out of the blue. Explain to her that you still want to be friends and don't want both of you to feel awkward (assuming you have no interest in kissing her again). Maybe suggest something you can do together to shake the awkward feelings (go shopping or watch a dvd, just so your last memory of hanging out isn't something awkward).

Ideally people should ask before kissing others, but people kiss on the spur of the moment all the time because of emotions or miscalculating other people's feelings. I think the important thing is to put the awkwardness behind you and try and get on with the friendship.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I lived with a Scottish bloke once. Worked as a builder and was rough as you like. One day he knocked on my door drunk and told me he was gay before trying to kiss me. Shocked isn't the word. He got himself a GF that week and we ended up having a fight while my trousers were around my ankles. The lives we lead.

He was a good lad. He spent the night with me when my dad died just drinking and being ********s.

ReputationRep:
    This probably isn't an over the phone conversation, meet up with her and sort things out face to face. To keep your freindship going try playing it off like it was no big deal and that you were complimented that she is into you.
    Good luck, hope it goes well 😀

ReputationRep:
    I can tell you from my experience with my friend who came out "bi" to me.

We had been friends for 7 months, before her telling me I noticed she use to get weird about me talking about guys, and when I asked for advice she wouldn't even say anything, just smile and roll her eyes or do something funky with her facial expression, thinking back her eyes were watery but since she was smiling I thought maybe she was happy for my excitement.

Also one time she had drama with one of her other friends and she had told me it was because her friend was feeling lonely ( we had both just moved from different cities) turned out her friend who was a lesbian, liked her and she was jealous of our friendship.

Anywho- SHE was ALWAYS UPSET WITH ME, everything I did she had a mental break down and she was so hot and cold with me. She made being friends with her so difficult. Although I couldn't figure out what was up with her mood swings I just really thought she was bi polar however her mood swings got worse after me finding out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.