Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

All throughout high school, I have always learnt the Higher content. In year 11, I did the Higher Edexcel exam and I got a D. I don't know the many marks I had. Maths is my weakest subject, but I need to pass it.
    I am at college now and I am retaking Maths. However, the Maths head of department(my previous Maths teacher) put me down for the foundation paper in November.I have asked her a few times to do higher, but she has refused. She said that foundation is better for me. My parents paid for me to do the higher paper in November, but there were no refunds. My mum encouraged me to do the foundation paper in November. I didn't want to do the Maths Foundation GCSE.I ended up getting a F. I don't know the marks that I had got. I was upset with the result, but I realized that I didn't learn the content with a CD. I practiced papers though.Throughout these months, I am constantly getting worse grades. I have a Maths GCSE foundation cd, revision book and revision guide, but I haven't done all my revision yet. I have watched half of the clips on the Maths CD. I got another F today in my (5 marks of a E) in the foundation mock paper. My mum said that I should try and convince the teachers again to do higher. However, I am not so sure. I have a lot of revision to do for Maths. Do you think its possible for me to get a C in the foundation paper? The thing about the foundation paper is that I don't understand certain things. I am not thick, but the paper is different to the higher paper.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in the same predicament, except, I am in Year 11. It's often said you can either be good at Maths or English, not both. I don't know if that's is true or not, but I can definitely say English is my strongest suit (currently getting B's)

Since Year 10, we've been doing higher papers in class and revising higher topics, it wasn't only until like a quarter way into my year that my maths teacher left and we got a new one. Our new teacher noticed that we made silly, reversible mistakes and felt that we would be more confident doing foundation (even though we need a lot more marks on foundation to get a C, but in a way that's is also more 'securer'

At first I was against it, I knew that I was bad at maths but the fact that, I would only attain a C in the foundation paper, no matter how hard I worked and where as, in the higher paper, I could get a higher grade - depending on my hard work and dedication. If I did the foundation, I would have no opportunities to do that.

I understand that the questions are harder on the higher paper, but you also need a lot less marks. I even got a D in the higher paper last year.

Currently in the foundation paper, I got like an E.

But I also came to realise that technically, if you were smart enough to do the higher paper, you are smart enough to do the Foundation (fundamentals) and that I was lacking the basics. Because, if I did - I could just as easily prove I can get a C and then the Teacher would have no doubt in putting me for higher.

However, I'm currently wanting to work harder - so that before my actual exams I can persuade my teacher to make me do the higher paper so I can get the opportunity to get higher than a C, despite the risks involved.

ReputationRep:
    The reason teachers may put someone on the foundation paper, even though it seems as if it was harder to get a C on it, is because a D may be the highest a person can get on that exam. People in general tend to have a limit for understanding in maths. While I wouldn't say that it's a matter of "english or maths" since there are people who are good at both, you are still born with a certain ability for these subjects.

You are definitely going the wrong way about learning maths, it sounds as if you were trying to learn how to answer specific questions, instead of actually understanding the concept. It is a risky way to go about exams, especially in maths since the questions may change, leaving you not really knowing what to do. In general you should be able to do foundation just fine if you have been doing the higher, and if you can't then you haven't been taught very well. Maybe you could try to do a paper, and then have someone else go through it with you? It sounds like you need someone to explain where you are going wrong and point out what concepts you are missing. It could be that you're not even realising what the questions are asking you to do which is why you are struggling so much. You could ask a teacher for some after school help, or maybe during breaks. You can also write on here, or just pm me if you want, with anything that you are struggling with, or questions you are trying to do. There should still be a lot of time left until your exam, so you should be fine if you can start learning now with some help.

If you'd like you could send me one of your past papers (with a solution sheet preferably, my methods may not be the best for GCSE), I could go through it and explain in detail what the questions exactly want from you, or I could explain solutions to one of the papers you have already done if you'd prefer that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _aishahxo_)
    Hi,

All throughout high school, I have always learnt the Higher content. In year 11, I did the Higher Edexcel exam and I got a D. I don't know the many marks I had. Maths is my weakest subject, but I need to pass it.
    I am at college now and I am retaking Maths. However, the Maths head of department(my previous Maths teacher) put me down for the foundation paper in November.I have asked her a few times to do higher, but she has refused. She said that foundation is better for me. My parents paid for me to do the higher paper in November, but there were no refunds. My mum encouraged me to do the foundation paper in November. I didn't want to do the Maths Foundation GCSE.I ended up getting a F. I don't know the marks that I had got. I was upset with the result, but I realized that I didn't learn the content with a CD. I practiced papers though.Throughout these months, I am constantly getting worse grades. I have a Maths GCSE foundation cd, revision book and revision guide, but I haven't done all my revision yet. I have watched half of the clips on the Maths CD. I got another F today in my (5 marks of a E) in the foundation mock paper. My mum said that I should try and convince the teachers again to do higher. However, I am not so sure. I have a lot of revision to do for Maths. Do you think its possible for me to get a C in the foundation paper? The thing about the foundation paper is that I don't understand certain things. I am not thick, but the paper is different to the higher paper.
    this link may help you- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3906471
    plus if you need any help i am here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    this link may help you- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3906471
    plus if you need any help i am here
    Stop trying to please yourself... You're on literally every thread that mentions GCSE Maths...

Worry about your own exams...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie Vardy)
    Stop trying to please yourself... You're on literally every thread that mentions GCSE Maths...

Worry about your own exams...
    i am just trying to let the members know that there is a thread ALREADY with the tips and resources provided
    as they do not bother to look it up and posting the same thread again again so i don't see the point- plus i am good at maths and achieved an A* grade so sushhh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.