Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with these questions? Thanks!

Multiple choice Q11 and Q14 from the specimen paper:
    http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/ChemistrySQPH.pdf
    I keep getting D for Q14 but apparently the answer is B :/

Multiple choice Q8 from exemplar paper:
    http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/ChemistryEQPH.pdf
    I have no idea what the question is even asking!

ReputationRep:
    Q14:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Assuming you got the following balanced equation:
    2IO3 + 12H+-> I2 + 6H2O

You'll notice that this equation produces I2. This is 2 moles of Iodine, as in it's natural state Iodine is two molecules bound together.
    To get I- on it's own (1 mole) you'd divide the whole equation by two. This would give you:
    IO3 + 6H+-> I-+ 3H2O
    Which satisfies B.
    Q8:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This question is a bit misleading in my opinion - as the base structure is the same, the only bits that really matter are:

4-hydroxy
    6-methyl

The question tells you that the oxygen is labelled as 1 and going anticlockwise this number increases so the carbon next to it is labelled 2, the one after 3 and so on up to 6.

Using the simple nomenclature rules we know that the 4-hydroxy means there needs to be an OH group attached to the fourth carbon, and the 6-methyl means there needs to be a CH3 group attached to the 6th carbon. The only compound which satisfies both of these requirements is B.
    I hope this helped slightly!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.