Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with these questions? Thanks!

Multiple choice Q11 and Q14 from the specimen paper:
    http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/ChemistrySQPH.pdf
    I keep getting D for Q14 but apparently the answer is B :/

Multiple choice Q8 from exemplar paper:
    http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/ChemistryEQPH.pdf
    I have no idea what the question is even asking!

ReputationRep:
    Q14:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Assuming you got the following balanced equation:
    2IO3 + 12H+-> I2 + 6H2O

You'll notice that this equation produces I2. This is 2 moles of Iodine, as in it's natural state Iodine is two molecules bound together.
    To get I- on it's own (1 mole) you'd divide the whole equation by two. This would give you:
    IO3 + 6H+-> I-+ 3H2O
    Which satisfies B.
    Q8:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This question is a bit misleading in my opinion - as the base structure is the same, the only bits that really matter are:

4-hydroxy
    6-methyl

The question tells you that the oxygen is labelled as 1 and going anticlockwise this number increases so the carbon next to it is labelled 2, the one after 3 and so on up to 6.

Using the simple nomenclature rules we know that the 4-hydroxy means there needs to be an OH group attached to the fourth carbon, and the 6-methyl means there needs to be a CH3 group attached to the 6th carbon. The only compound which satisfies both of these requirements is B.
    I hope this helped slightly!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.