ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    wut
    wut?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    wut?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMtDhTHYEjk

I wouldn't mind. Even though, I'm a girl. If a guy went through the same issues, I would be totally fine with dating them.

I'd be able to relate some what with distorted body image issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    Agree.

But op said an ex self harmer/ bulimic, so they aren't like this anymore so they aren't bringing that into the relationship. What's your answer now?

Personally I still wouldn't because I've noticed these people still have harmful tendencies.
    I just don't believe those kind of issues can just be left at the door when getting into a new relationship, especially when it was so recent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shreddingfish92)
    I just don't believe those kind of issues can just be left at the door when getting into a new relationship, especially when it was so recent.
    What if it wasn't recent but years ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So, I'm 18 now and I used to self harm badly. On top of that, I used to have bulimia. Both self harming and bulimia wrecked me up badly (I have low self esteem as a result) and I failed my AS. I haven't self harmed or purged for about a year now. I consider myself an ex self harmer and bulimic. The thing is, I have self harm scars on my inner thighs,upper arms and some old ones on my legs so people can guess that I was a self harmer.

I know mentor girls who are bulimic and self harm to try and get them out of it. But I've heard some guys don't like dating ex self harmers because it's not attractive or the girl is damaged goods or something.

So I guess, the question is in the thread name really.
    You sound very similar to someone I know irl. But that is besides the point. Of course I would date someone who used to self harm or used to be bullimic. After all, they're as much a person as the next guy or girl in line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    What if it wasn't recent but years ago
    I don't know, if they'd had therapy or just completely moved past it then maybe I would but having seen it close to home I probably would avoid pursuing a relationship if I knew about it from early on.

There are going to be people who flat out will not want to be with someone who had self harmed and that's their personal choice, you can accept it or you can let it eat away at you and I just think OP should be ready for it if it does happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shreddingfish92)
    I don't know, if they'd had therapy or just completely moved past it then maybe I would but having seen it close to home I probably would avoid pursuing a relationship if I knew about it from early on.

There are going to be people who flat out will not want to be with someone who had self harmed and that's their personal choice, you can accept it or you can let it eat away at you and I just think OP should be ready for it if it does happen.
    I would avoid it also. Just wanted to see your perspective on it.

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm 18 now and I used to self harm badly. On top of that, I used to have bulimia. Both self harming and bulimia wrecked me up badly (I have low self esteem as a result) and I failed my AS. I haven't self harmed or purged for about a year now. I consider myself an ex self harmer and bulimic. The thing is, I have self harm scars on my inner thighs,upper arms and some old ones on my legs so people can guess that I was a self harmer.

I know mentor girls who are bulimic and self harm to try and get them out of it. But I've heard some guys don't like dating ex self harmers because it's not attractive or the girl is damaged goods or something.

So I guess, the question is in the thread name really.
    Like Zayn Malik's song I think it would be a paradise and a warzone.

Being serious though if I really like the girl and she makes me feel good being with her,there is no reason I won't give her a chance. Just because you have scars does not mean you cannot be a good girlfriend and it does not mean you cannot heal and you will heal and be happy.

ReputationRep:
    I would as I would understand why they would've done it and could relate somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    If the problems, then I certainly wouldn't be put off. I don't care about this "damage goods" rubbish. I'd only have doubts if they were doing it currently as I'm not certain I'd be able to deal with that sort of thing. Even then I might still give it go, dunno tbh I've never had to deal with that before.

I hate mine. Couple that with bad stretch marks and you have a horrible body
    Nah scars and stretch marks are totally okay.

Well, they are to me anyway but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2016
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.