Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm not sure how to do question b)i) , b)iii) and c)i)...... For Qb)iii) Do I draw the same graph as posted I posted (but with voltage)? Any help is appreciated, thanks Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456251855.111568.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  85.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456251867.486965.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  79.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456251881.958593.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  112.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by ohnanailikenanas)
    Hi. I'm not sure how to do question b)i) , b)iii) and c)i)...... For Qb)iii) Do I draw the same graph as posted I posted (but with voltage)? Any help is appreciated, thanks Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456251855.111568.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  85.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456251867.486965.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  79.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456251881.958593.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  112.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The graph should be an exponential decrease

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Any idea on the other questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Thanks. Any idea on the other questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For ci)

Do you remember the rules for resistors in series and parallel? The rules for capacitor in series and parallel is the other way round. This gives you C. If you know R, then time constant = C x R.

ReputationRep:
    I know the rules for series and parallel capacitors... Parallel you just add them, series is 1/C + 1/C + 1/C = 1/C But I don't know any values ... I think I need b)i before I calculate c)i)??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I know the rules for series and parallel capacitors... Parallel you just add them, series is 1/C + 1/C + 1/C = 1/C But I don't know any values ... I think I need b)i before I calculate c)i)??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It says calculate the new time constant in terms of the old one.

In this case I think it would be 2t???

You don't need the values You just need to do R(1(1/C + 1/C)) = 2RC = 2 x the old time constant ???

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused.. I really don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. B)i) wants me to find the values of Vab at 2t, 3t and 4t. Is 2t half of 0.37? 3t half of 2t??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I'm confused.. I really don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. B)i) wants me to find the values of Vab at 2t, 3t and 4t. Is 2t half of 0.37? 3t half of 2t??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know I have never seen one involving EMF before

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456256335.581252.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  104.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456256349.767980.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  84.0 KB Could you help with these questions? I was thinking for the second questjon I would draw this diagram.. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456256387.256070.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  113.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Kyx)
    I don't know I have never seen one involving EMF before
    The p.d. across the capacitor is given by the function V_{ab} = 0.37E when t = \tau = CR

i.e. at the time the switch changed over (t=0s), the p.d. across the combination was E volts.

After time t = CR, the p.d. has fallen to 0.37E.

If the timer was reset at that point to t=0s (when E = new p.d), then after a further t=CR time constant, the p.d. across the pair must fall by following the same function again. i.e. 0.37E.

So at t = 2CR, the new p.d. is V_{ab} = 0.37(0.37E_{t=\tau}) = 0.37^2E

Do the same for t = 3CR, t=4CR....each time using the same 0.37E relationship.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    not quite

at the end of each period lasting 1 time constant it's 0.37 of the value it had been at the start of that period.

after 1RC it's 0.37 of V0
    after 2RC it's 0.37 of the value it had at 1RC... which is 0.37 of 0.37 V0 i.e. 0.37 x 0.37... or 0.372
    after 3RC it's 0.37 of the value it had at 2RC... 0.37 x 0.37 x 0.37 V0 or 0.373

and so on...

---
    because V=V0e-t/RC

so when t=RC V=V0e-1
    t=2RC V=V=V0e-2
    etc.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    OK, seems legit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.