Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have a question, are A2's more difficult, at the moment I am in year 12 and studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Computer science. next year i plan on doing Maths, Further Maths and Computer science,
    i am finding it more stressful than anything, hoping it will get easier when i am only doing 3, of course I expect to be more intense but will there be extra free time? more independence? less homework?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I found A2's to be a very big step up from AS, far more than the step up from GCSE to AS.

So in my opinion, yes, they are harder.

ReputationRep:
    It's a step up, but you'll be able to manage it, try and get as many marks as possible this year and then you can calm down a bit next year depending on your uni offers. There's a lot more independence and free time but don't always take it as time to rest on your laurels, of course some frees are less productive than others but there we are. There's less homework but you have to do a lot more behind the scenes unless you're naturally bright and can just get it the first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrFartFace)
    It's a step up, but you'll be able to manage it, try and get as many marks as possible this year and then you can calm down a bit next year depending on your uni offers. There's a lot more independence and free time but don't always take it as time to rest on your laurels, of course some frees are less productive than others but there we are. There's less homework but you have to do a lot more behind the scenes unless you're naturally bright and can just get it the first time.
    Thankyou for the reply! Are you in A2 or uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    I found A2's to be a very big step up from AS, far more than the step up from GCSE to AS.

So in my opinion, yes, they are harder.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Nothings hard if you work hard

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I didn't feel the jump between A2 and AS or AS and GCSEs. You just have to stay on top of your work and find a revision method that works for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rigamortis345)
    Thankyou for the reply! Are you in A2 or uni?
    I'm in A2 doing Chemistry, Biology and Economics

ReputationRep:
    It definitely gets more difficult. It's not as big as the jump between GCSE and AS but A2 makes me miss AS levels. I do completely different subjects to you, but I guess the change will be the same; in history we have more to learn, harder essays and an awful coursework unit compared to AS, Lit is more advanced, and there's more to learn for Politics and a more difficult exam than before.

It's definitely manageable but it's clear why most people drop a subject and have only 3 A levels. A friend actually does 5 A levels, but, well, he's crazy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A2 is a lot more difficult especially if you choose the EPQ or a 4th A2 level.

ReputationRep:
    im not finding it much more difficult than AS but thats prob cause im failing both years x'DDD
    Spoiler:
    Show
    jkjk

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have a question, are A2's more difficult, at the moment I am in year 12 and studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Computer science. next year i plan on doing Maths, Further Maths and Computer science,
    i am finding it more stressful than anything, hoping it will get easier when i am only doing 3, of course I expect to be more intense but will there be extra free time? more independence? less homework?

thanks!
    They're like a hundred times harder than AS!

ReputationRep:
    I personally didn't find the difference particularly noticeable as opposed to the jump from GCSE to A level. You should still have the same amount of homework and lessons per subject, but if you're dropping a subject then obviously you will get more free time in general.

Edit: I did Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A2

ReputationRep:
    some subjects like geography and economics are not. But maths and biology have been, especially biology so a good thing you don't do it. Expect further maths to be difficult though but everything is possible and i would HIGHLY suggest you start work and revision in September and do not leave it to February like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahorizon)
    some subjects like geography and economics are not. But maths and biology have been, especially biology so a good thing you don't do it. Expect further maths to be difficult though but everything is possible and i would HIGHLY suggest you start work and revision in September and do not leave it to February like me.
    Biology is ridiculous :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    Biology is ridiculous :'
    It distracted me so much last year from Maths leading me to get a lower grade in Maths than Biology even though Biology is completely irrelevant to what I have applied for at uni (PPE).
    Biggest regret lol.

ReputationRep:
    Biology is great!! I'm loving the a2 content compared to the dull as content!

Chemistry a2 well unit 4 is alright; unit 5 is a challenge!

Eh it is a big step up I guess!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

thanks!
    A2's are tough. do not think things will get easier!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my second year of uni
    up to a point, the work at a2 is harder
    although don't get me wrong - 2nd year's nuthin' ta f wit'
    I mean, I don't suppose any a2-ers here stayed up all night last night doing their coursework?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahorizon)
    It distracted me so much last year from Maths leading me to get a lower grade in Maths than Biology even though Biology is completely irrelevant to what I have applied for at uni (PPE).
    Biggest regret lol.
    I need to get an A for uni this year and it is literally sucking the life out of me. My memory is seriously being put to the test

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.