rigamortis345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

I have a question, are A2's more difficult, at the moment I am in year 12 and studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Computer science. next year i plan on doing Maths, Further Maths and Computer science,
i am finding it more stressful than anything, hoping it will get easier when i am only doing 3, of course I expect to be more intense but will there be extra free time? more independence? less homework?

thanks!
username1884577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I found A2's to be a very big step up from AS, far more than the step up from GCSE to AS.

So in my opinion, yes, they are harder.
MrFartFace
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's a step up, but you'll be able to manage it, try and get as many marks as possible this year and then you can calm down a bit next year depending on your uni offers. There's a lot more independence and free time but don't always take it as time to rest on your laurels, of course some frees are less productive than others but there we are. There's less homework but you have to do a lot more behind the scenes unless you're naturally bright and can just get it the first time.
rigamortis345
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrFartFace)
It's a step up, but you'll be able to manage it, try and get as many marks as possible this year and then you can calm down a bit next year depending on your uni offers. There's a lot more independence and free time but don't always take it as time to rest on your laurels, of course some frees are less productive than others but there we are. There's less homework but you have to do a lot more behind the scenes unless you're naturally bright and can just get it the first time.
Thankyou for the reply! Are you in A2 or uni?
rigamortis345
Rep:
?
(Original post by A-LJLB)
I found A2's to be a very big step up from AS, far more than the step up from GCSE to AS.

So in my opinion, yes, they are harder.
Thanks!
RoadtoSuccess
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nothings hard if you work hard
fsi_07
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tbh I didn't feel the jump between A2 and AS or AS and GCSEs. You just have to stay on top of your work and find a revision method that works for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
MrFartFace
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rigamortis345)
Thankyou for the reply! Are you in A2 or uni?
I'm in A2 doing Chemistry, Biology and Economics
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It definitely gets more difficult. It's not as big as the jump between GCSE and AS but A2 makes me miss AS levels. I do completely different subjects to you, but I guess the change will be the same; in history we have more to learn, harder essays and an awful coursework unit compared to AS, Lit is more advanced, and there's more to learn for Politics and a more difficult exam than before.

It's definitely manageable but it's clear why most people drop a subject and have only 3 A levels. A friend actually does 5 A levels, but, well, he's crazy.
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A2 is a lot more difficult especially if you choose the EPQ or a 4th A2 level.
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
im not finding it much more difficult than AS but thats prob cause im failing both years x'DDD
Spoiler:
Show
jkjk
KyleBroflovski
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi all,

I have a question, are A2's more difficult, at the moment I am in year 12 and studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Computer science. next year i plan on doing Maths, Further Maths and Computer science,
i am finding it more stressful than anything, hoping it will get easier when i am only doing 3, of course I expect to be more intense but will there be extra free time? more independence? less homework?

thanks!
They're like a hundred times harder than AS!
Nadile
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I personally didn't find the difference particularly noticeable as opposed to the jump from GCSE to A level. You should still have the same amount of homework and lessons per subject, but if you're dropping a subject then obviously you will get more free time in general.

Edit: I did Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A2
lahorizon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
some subjects like geography and economics are not. But maths and biology have been, especially biology so a good thing you don't do it. Expect further maths to be difficult though but everything is possible and i would HIGHLY suggest you start work and revision in September and do not leave it to February like me.
username1884577
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lahorizon)
some subjects like geography and economics are not. But maths and biology have been, especially biology so a good thing you don't do it. Expect further maths to be difficult though but everything is possible and i would HIGHLY suggest you start work and revision in September and do not leave it to February like me.
Biology is ridiculous :')
lahorizon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by A-LJLB)
Biology is ridiculous :'
It distracted me so much last year from Maths leading me to get a lower grade in Maths than Biology even though Biology is completely irrelevant to what I have applied for at uni (PPE).
Biggest regret lol.
K3001N
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Biology is great!! I'm loving the a2 content compared to the dull as content!

Chemistry a2 well unit 4 is alright; unit 5 is a challenge!

Eh it is a big step up I guess!
Beardie26
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi all,

thanks!
A2's are tough. do not think things will get easier!
sleepysnooze
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in my second year of uni
up to a point, the work at a2 is harder
although don't get me wrong - 2nd year's nuthin' ta f wit'
I mean, I don't suppose any a2-ers here stayed up all night last night doing their coursework?
username1884577
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lahorizon)
It distracted me so much last year from Maths leading me to get a lower grade in Maths than Biology even though Biology is completely irrelevant to what I have applied for at uni (PPE).
Biggest regret lol.
I need to get an A for uni this year and it is literally sucking the life out of me. My memory is seriously being put to the test
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (733)
33.86%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (926)
42.77%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.39%

Watched Threads