Turn on thread page Beta

Hey guys
    Well, im really struggling with GCSE Biology. Well not struggling, just struggling with the exams. I find the content easy and I know the book by heart but I always fluke at biology exams? Idk if its the data interpretation Q or not? This doesent happen to me when I do Physics and Chem. I did it for the mock and I got an B, 3 marks of an A, yet obtained A* in physics and an A* in chemistry? Can someone help me, like how should I revise biology because they make the exams soo weird.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    what exam board?
    based on my WJEC sciences, i find it helpful to read the markscheme and see what kind of points they need for a particular question. i do past papers and mark them myself, when marking them, even if i have all the right answer for a question, i list the other possible answers with it, to use as extra info for future past papers, and learn from mistakes. as you said bio content is a lot easier to understand than others, all you need now is how to apply/pick and choose the correct detail for a question and the best way is to look at mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    what year are you ? I'm in year 11 and i think the best way for me is to do past papers for science and then try and learn what i got wrong.i would say do this process until you achieving around 95% on each paper .but be careful because different people learn in different ways. I would still say you give my way ago as i went from getting constant e's and d's to a's and b's and iv only used this technique for the last month.

(Original post by ihatePE)
    what exam board?
    based on my WJEC sciences, i find it helpful to read the markscheme and see what kind of points they need for a particular question. i do past papers and mark them myself, when marking them, even if i have all the right answer for a question, i list the other possible answers with it, to use as extra info for future past papers, and learn from mistakes. as you said bio content is a lot easier to understand than others, all you need now is how to apply/pick and choose the correct detail for a question and the best way is to look at mark scheme
    Aqa thx for replying :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by bibidibop)
    what year are you ? I'm in year 11 and i think the best way for me is to do past papers for science and then try and learn what i got wrong.i would say do this process until you achieving around 95% on each paper .but be careful because different people learn in different ways. I would still say you give my way ago as i went from getting constant e's and d's to a's and b's and iv only used this technique for the last month.
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How to get an A* = *reads the Biology specification for 2014*

Literally my life when l was doing GCSEs though doing past papers is GOOD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    Hey guys
    Well, im really struggling with GCSE Biology. Well not struggling, just struggling with the exams. I find the content easy and I know the book by heart but I always fluke at biology exams? Idk if its the data interpretation Q or not? This doesent happen to me when I do Physics and Chem. I did it for the mock and I got an B, 3 marks of an A, yet obtained A* in physics and an A* in chemistry? Can someone help me, like how should I revise biology because they make the exams soo weird.
    Maybe you should aim to intuitively understand the subject rather than "knowing the book by heart". Rote memorisation is not very helpful.

If you struggle to learn intuitively, use the textbook less and your teacher more.

(Original post by crump2t)
    Maybe you should aim to intuitively understand the subject rather than "knowing the book by heart". Rote memorisation is not very helpful.

If you struggle to learn intuitively, use the textbook less and your teacher more.
    I do, I use GCSE Science methods and yes I am actually quite potent in lessons, but as I said again it isnt the content or comprehension of the subject, its the exam

(Original post by the.chantele)
    How to get an A* = *reads the Biology specification for 2014*

Literally my life when l was doing GCSEs though doing past papers is GOOD.
    Do you mind telling me what you got? And thank you! I am going to be indulging into the spec

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind telling me what you got? And thank you! I am going to be indulging into the spec
    Are you in year 11 mate? I did Biology last year and can maybe give you some advice.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    yo dont worry it seems youre doing well i managed to get an A* last year if im honest gcses and a levels are all mark scheme based learn the content well and constantly look at mark schemes out line where the marks come from you will find that theres a general pattern with all the questions and it really helps

ReputationRep:
    Learn everything in the spec, do past papers and see your weaknesses within the wrong answers you get and keep revising the things you keep getting wrong.

If you can handle all that you'll be safe, there is no need to grab a lot of books to revise that's not needed but can help.

(Original post by ibte10)
    Are you in year 11 mate? I did Biology last year and can maybe give you some advice.
    Yes, I am in year 11 thank you

ReputationRep:
    Aqa thx for replying :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, same. I think the specification and order makes it quite confusing to understand though...

ReputationRep:
    Year 11 here, I did AQA bio last year and got an A* (100 UMS in B3, 89 UMS in B2, AND 96 UMS in B1 [as well as 100 in the ISA]).

In every single past paper I did, and I did plenty, I got A's, never an A*. But, alas, this was my method:

> Make notes using the CGP book, typically on index cards, and go over these every morning whilst eating breakfast. (I did B3 the most, because it was the past papers I did the worst at)
    > Print out the spec, and a week before the exam, I would go through and highlight everything I didn't know, and memorize it off by heart.
    > Take all the graphy type questions, look at the mark scheme, and note what points they want you to get - typically, they want a statement about what the graph shows (1), explain how/why (1), and further data (1). I think the only reason I did so well is because I overwrote all of the application questions - you best believe I picked out every piece of numerical data I could find.

You can only improve your graph questions by doing them over and over again, so find questions (AQA Biology exam style questions) and do them until you start seeing graphs in your sleep. Good luck.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.