The Student Room Group

Imperial or UCL Medicine?

Hey guys, basically I have offers from Imperial and UCL to study medicine and am torn between these two amazing unis. How hard would you say passing the exams in medicine in each of these unis? I know that Medicine is a hard degree and it is something I am prepared to work hard for but recently lots of people have been telling me that Imperial Medicine Exams are crazy hard ! I would really appreciate any help.
I can't imagine circumstances under which someone will have been able to directly compare the difficulty of finals at Imperial and UCL. I suspect that exams at most medical schools require a similar standard - all institutions ultimately have a vested interest in graduating new doctors and no medical school is going to intentionally make it harder for their own students. I certainly wouldn't let anecdotal opinions about the relative difficulty of the exams be your deciding factor.
Reply 2
Yes I was thinking why an university would make it harder to pass the exams than another. But apparently it is more competitive in Imperial, resitting medical exams are not uncommon whilst people in UCL seem more chilled about it. Also do you get ranked in your cohort and then get allocated to hospitals depending on your performance in your cohort so if everyone is really clever, it would be harder to get higher in these ranks? And how important are these ranks?
If there are any medics in Imperial or UCL, I would love to hear your experiences in uni and what you think is good and bad about your uni.
Thanks MonteCristo for clarifying that info for me ! :smile:
Imperial students have this reputation for being more competitive and it might be true overall, although you'll find chilled and competitive students at both institutions. I don't know about the proportion of students that resit but I'd be surprised if any UK medical school is an outlier in terms of overall failure/attribution rates.

At the moment, part of the foundation programme application process includes your decile ranking within your medical school cohort. This process changes often but is currently composed of an assessment (Situational Judgement Test) and the Educational Performance Measure (of which decile ranking is a component). The current process for determining your application score is described here: http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/medical-students/SJT-EPM. Medical schools are free to use their own algorithm for determining which decile you fall into. This is subject to change and, to be honest, it's likely that there will be a whole different selection process by the time you qualify. I certainly wouldn't convince yourself that either UCL or Imperial medics are cleverer on average - trying to guess your rank within each cohort really isn't a worthwhile exercise at this point.

I'm happy to defer to Imperial and/or UCL medics in terms of describing their own experiences...
Reply 4
Original post by MonteCristo
Imperial students have this reputation for being more competitive and it might be true overall, although you'll find chilled and competitive students at both institutions. I don't know about the proportion of students that resit but I'd be surprised if any UK medical school is an outlier in terms of overall failure/attribution rates.

At the moment, part of the foundation programme application process includes your decile ranking within your medical school cohort. This process changes often but is currently composed of an assessment (Situational Judgement Test) and the Educational Performance Measure (of which decile ranking is a component). The current process for determining your application score is described here: http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/medical-students/SJT-EPM. Medical schools are free to use their own algorithm for determining which decile you fall into. This is subject to change and, to be honest, it's likely that there will be a whole different selection process by the time you qualify. I certainly wouldn't convince yourself that either UCL or Imperial medics are cleverer on average - trying to guess your rank within each cohort really isn't a worthwhile exercise at this point.

I'm happy to defer to Imperial and/or UCL medics in terms of describing their own experiences...

That's true. Comparing Imperial and UCL is like comparing two different eggs. :s-smilie:
Wow the foundation programme application process seems quite competitive. Thank you for that link. Yes I agree a lot can happen in 6 years. I'm sure all medics are clever but these institutions attract international students and my friend who is at Imperial was telling me how everyone in her cohort was so clever especially these international students.
What do you think I should actually look at to come to a sensible decision?
Thank you so much for your help btw. :biggrin:
Original post by Lili1998
What do you think I should actually look at to come to a sensible decision?

A good question and, if I'm honest, I don't think the decision between Imperial and UCL matters very much at all.

Imperial students have a reputation for being a little more competitive and cut throat than those at UCL. I don't think that this would have much bearing on whether you pass exams or how you rank within the cohort. You might however have some feeling about the type of colleagues you would prefer to work with for the next five years. If there isn't anything obviously different about the structure of the courses (intercalation options, early clinical contact, etc) then think about which made you feel more comfortable at interview, the hospitals you would be based at, and which part of London you'd prefer to work in.

You will almost certainly enjoy whichever medical school you choose so flip a coin if necessary!
Reply 6
Original post by MonteCristo
A good question and, if I'm honest, I don't think the decision between Imperial and UCL matters very much at all.

Imperial students have a reputation for being a little more competitive and cut throat than those at UCL. I don't think that this would have much bearing on whether you pass exams or how you rank within the cohort. You might however have some feeling about the type of colleagues you would prefer to work with for the next five years. If there isn't anything obviously different about the structure of the courses (intercalation options, early clinical contact, etc) then think about which made you feel more comfortable at interview, the hospitals you would be based at, and which part of London you'd prefer to work in.

You will almost certainly enjoy whichever medical school you choose so flip a coin if necessary!

Reply 7
Is there anyone in Imperial or UCL doing medicine who would like to share their experiences please? :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Lili1998
Hey guys, basically I have offers from Imperial and UCL to study medicine and am torn between these two amazing unis. How hard would you say passing the exams in medicine in each of these unis? I know that Medicine is a hard degree and it is something I am prepared to work hard for but recently lots of people have been telling me that Imperial Medicine Exams are crazy hard ! I would really appreciate any help.

Hi Lili
Can I ask what decision did you make? I have the same dilemma!
Thanks
Original post by Happyals
Hi Lili
Can I ask what decision did you make? I have the same dilemma!
Thanks

Hi there!

Ultimately, there's no 'better' school as all results in GMC-approved degrees, so it's just a matter of which school you prefer - a nice problem to have!

You might like to look at the following blogs on how to choose a medical school to help you:

- How to Choose Between Your Offers
- Got an Offer? 5 Things To Do Next
- How to Make Your Firm and Insurance Choice

We also published a blog on Medical School Rankings 2017 yesterday which you might find useful!

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending