Turn on thread page Beta

I feel really awful about my As mock results, what should I do? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have just got my mock results and only managed to get a D in psychology and an E and a U in Geography, I still have more to come but I didn't think I had done that badly, I'm beginning to feel awful and really pessimistic about life and feel like I'm just going to fail seeing as exams are four months away.

All my friends are doing amazing and I'm struggling to do well,, I want to go to university so badly but just don't think I can pass, I feel so pathetic in comparison with them and feel like I can't ever amount to anything. Sorry to whine so much but I just felt awful for so many days and want advice.

ReputationRep:
    Did you revise and do past papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opal12)
    I have just got my mock results and only managed to get a D in psychology and an E and a U in Geography, I still have more to come but I didn't think I had done that badly, I'm beginning to feel awful and really pessimistic about life and feel like I'm just going to fail seeing as exams are four months away.

All my friends are doing amazing and I'm struggling to do well,, I want to go to university so badly but just don't think I can pass, I feel so pathetic in comparison with them and feel like I can't ever amount to anything. Sorry to whine so much but I just felt awful for so many days and want advice.
    You can only ever do your best, I'm sorry you're not happy with your results but don't see them as fails, look at them as starting points to work on. The whole point of mocks is to give you a test run so you can work out the problems and fix them before the real exams, from now until your main exams, see where you have been going wrong and fix it and don't compare yourself to your friends, there's no point, use this as motivation, failure isn't messing up, it's giving up, good luck!

ReputationRep:

Go through the mock papers with the mark scheme and highlight:
    * topics you had no clue about [red]
    * topics you did ok but could have got more marks [amber]
    * topics you did well [green]

The amber topics are where you can improve quickly - revise them and try the questions again.

Green topics need you to keep them 'ticking over'

Red topics - ask your teacher for help.

Don't give up - lots of people do badly in mocks - you can improve.

ReputationRep:

Do you have any revision guides? I relied heavily on revision guides to pass my exams because I'm just not the type of person who learns well by listening - I prefer to read and learn things myself. Classes are tailored to fit a certain type of student, so it may just be that you have to find another way to absorb the information. I recommend CGP revision guides. I also used Revision Express, and Letts are quite good. Don't feel awful about your results, though. They were mocks and you have time to pull your grades up. Sometimes the smallest changes can shift your grades up several levels (I got a D in my coursework draft for English lit, even though I was usually an A student - I'd just changed my style a little and it turned out to be a bad move, I made tiny changes and got an A in the end). Look at past papers, too, especially the mark schemes. Figure out what examiners want - it isn't always obvious how to use your classroom knowledge on exam papers. Try and learn from what the examiners are expecting to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    I'd just changed my style a little and it turned out to be a bad move, I made tiny changes and got an A in the end).
    This does not ring true, a D does not become an A due to tiny changes of a stylistic nature.

(Original post by Muttley79)
    Go through the mock papers with the mark scheme and highlight:
    * topics you had no clue about [red]
    * topics you did ok but could have got more marks [amber]
    * topics you did well [green]

The amber topics are where you can improve quickly - revise them and try the questions again.

Green topics need you to keep them 'ticking over'

Red topics - ask your teacher for help.

Don't give up - lots of people do badly in mocks - you can improve.
    That's a really good method! Thanks for the idea!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the fast replies and useful revision suggestions I think my last revision technique was a bit bad (writing out), I own the revision guides and started making cards which I manage to learn quickly, but do I need to vary my revision techniques?

I'm just worried I don't have enough time to improve myself, getting bad results back really puts my down and demotivates me to work which is really bad. Is there any particular techniques or things I can do to change this mindset?

I really want to do well at AS and I understand that requires hard work, its just that I fear I have too little time to improve enough to get to the universities I want to go to, am I just being too pessimistic or can my grades only go up so far?

ReputationRep:
    If you've a distinct lack of understanding then ask your teacher, if that doesn't help, get a tutor to help you out. If you got the wrong end of the stick of the question don't fret, just keep on doing the exam papers. Ask your teacher for more questions like the ones you didn't do well on. I've been there with AS maths, a U in my mock and I ended up turning it into a high A. Don't whatever you do, sit on your arse and do nothing or just give up. You've still got bags of time in your hand, use it.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.