Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of choosing Chemistry as an A level, lots of people that i know have told me not to choose this subject because it is very hard. I understand that there's a massive jump from GCSE to A-LEVELS but would i be able to cope if i go over my notes after each lesson and concentrate? What type of stuff do you learn?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to sugar coat it for you it is difficult, like harder than you can imagine, the context is relatively easy it's just hugely important to review and revise.
    I got an A in my GCSE chemistry last year, along with 2A*, 7As and a B so I wouldn't call myself a 'lower grade student' I'm currently studying AS chemistry and getting a U. However I've been told that's normal at this stage although with exams in May dawning I'm crazy stressed :doh:
    2 people in my class are on A grades and the rest Us, which considering I only have a class of 7 isn't great. Despite this I think the class size and the course is great however you need to be ready for it, let's say I've learnt a few lessons since my mock exam.
    The As exam is split into depth and breadth. The contents in this include foundations in chemistry, the periodic table and energy and core organic chemistry. There's some great topics like electron, bonding and structure and some that well everyone struggles at least a little about. I'd suggest looking online maybe on YouTube at revision videos so you get the jist of what sort of thing you can expect. I'd say if you need it go for it, with hard work and dedication you'll be a flying success (unlucky myself ) but if you don't need it for your uni course choose something your good at to raise those grades!
    Hope I've helped, feel free to ask anything else

ReputationRep:
    It's hard but it's not impossibly so. You have to keep on top of it though, if you find you can't do something, ask for help and keep doing work behind the scenes, making revision notes and stuff early, your understanding will improve over the year if you keep going over stuff. Depends on your uni course choices and whatever else you're doing too though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think something being hard is a reason to not study something. If you've ever heard of the Dweck Mindset, it seems that when you face challenges you grow more neural connections and become more intelligent and resilient to challenges. That in itself is a relatively motivational thought.

I think with anything in life- if you work hard enough you can do well.

I plan to do Chemisty at A-Level and plan to begin revising reviewing and understanding from the very beginning. Perhaps that might make it more manageable for you, too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 23, 2016

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.