Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for a course in the University of Salford for September 2016 entry (So excited!!) I paid my full deposit for a standard room in the Lowery 2, the rent is 118 pound per week (the pound symbol on my laptop is broken) I do work part-time while at college and will be aiming to get 2 jobs when I start university. I have applied for the maintenance loan but it confuses me, will that loan pay for my accommodation as I have also applied for a student loan.

Please may you explain this to me and if the maintenance loan can pay for the accommodation fee? Thank you for your help, no one in my family has ever ben to university before so they can't help me

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the maintenance loan is there to cover living costs while at uni, or at least go towards them.

You get a loan for your tuition fees of £9000 a year - you don't see this, it's sent straight to the university you're studying at.

Then the maintenance loan is put straight into your own bank account and is yours to do with as you please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemAllen9)
    I have applied for a course in the University of Salford for September 2016 entry (So excited!!) I paid my full deposit for a standard room in the Lowery 2, the rent is 118 pound per week (the pound symbol on my laptop is broken) I do work part-time while at college and will be aiming to get 2 jobs when I start university. I have applied for the maintenance loan but it confuses me, will that loan pay for my accommodation as I have also applied for a student loan.

Please may you explain this to me and if the maintenance loan can pay for the accommodation fee? Thank you for your help, no one in my family has ever ben to university before so they can't help me
    The maintenance loan can pay for whatever you want it too, it will be paid straight into your bank account and so you can pay for accommodation with it if you wish.

The tuition fee loan will be paid directly to the uni to cover your tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliemogs)
    The maintenance loan can pay for whatever you want it too, it will be paid straight into your bank account and so you can pay for accommodation with it if you wish.

The tuition fee loan will be paid directly to the uni to cover your tuition fees.
    Thank you for explaining, it's exciting but I'm so worried about it money wise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimjambles)
    Yes, the maintenance loan is there to cover living costs while at uni, or at least go towards them.

You get a loan for your tuition fees of £9000 a year - you don't see this, it's sent straight to the university you're studying at.

Then the maintenance loan is put straight into your own bank account and is yours to do with as you please.
    Thank you for explaining that, it's so confusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemAllen9)
    Thank you for explaining that, it's so confusing
    No problem, glad I could help! You're ahead of the game lol, I haven't even looked at the loans website yet.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.