Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Turkish and English Culture Relationship Watch

ReputationRep:
    Me and my girlfriend are from different backgrounds. She's English and I'm Turkish. I have a feeling that my parents will want my to be with a Turkish person...and I'm worried that the culture differences will rip us apart...I wouldn't call my parents strict but they can be. I've met her parents but I'm scared for her to meet mine.

Is this the case or am I overreacting?

ReputationRep:
    Quit being a Turkey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    quit being a turkey
    hahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    😐😐😐😐

ReputationRep:
    what cultural differences? If you are both fine with each other than what differences? You mean parents not approving? she won't marry your parents but you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bealzibub)
    what cultural differences? If you are both fine with each other than what differences? You mean parents not approving? she won't marry your parents but you
    What if his dad is really handsome and steals her for himself?? So short sighted.

ReputationRep:
    You're not overreacting because most Turkish parents prefer to stick with other Turks. We don't know your parents so don't know how they'll react, but they'll most probably be happy if you're happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisychain_)
    You're not overreacting because most Turkish parents prefer to stick with other Turks. We don't know your parents so don't know how they'll react, but they'll most probably be happy if you're happy

I know what you mean by Turkish parents sticking with turks. I know they will be happy on the outside but deep down I don't think they will be...

ReputationRep:

If they don't approve then I don't want to upset my parents...turks usually want to stay with turks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehmet_Sarica_)
    If they don't approve then I don't want to upset my parents...turks usually want to stay with turks.
    My parents wouldn't really approve of a girl with a different culture or who looks very different (im not turkish) but in the end if I want to live my life with her ... then it will happen and they will probably be like okay. I think in the end your parents will be okay if they aren't ... marry her anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehmet_Sarica_)
    I know what you mean by Turkish parents sticking with turks. I know they will be happy on the outside but deep down I don't think they will be...
    They may be a bit annoyed at first but they might get used to it with time :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    My parents wouldn't really approve of a girl with a different culture or who looks very different (im not turkish) but in the end if I want to live my life with her ... then it will happen and they will probably be like okay. I think in the end your parents will be okay if they aren't ... marry her anyway.
    Thank you so much, you've given the realest comment and I really appreciate it. I guess it's time for her to meet my parents...but I just don't know how

ReputationRep:
    Tbh if I were you I would pretend that she is a 'good friend' of yours for now so your parents are not quick to judge, let your parents see her good qualities and then when they get used to her existence and feel that she's alright, then you'd tell them your thinking about her in a more serious way. As long as she's a good person then your parents shouldn't mind. Life is short so be with someone who you know would make you happy and give you a peace of mind.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I have actually said for now..I've said that she is a friend. But even when I said that my parents were very quick to judge...it kinda pisses me off...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.