Turn on thread page Beta

Picked my GCSE subjects for Yr10/11 - Your thoughts? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've recently picked my options to study at gcse. I picked Computer Science (Not computing), French, Geography and History. Was just wondering what people though about my picks and If they had a pleasant/un pleasant experience with these subjects at gcse. I am also doing triple science.

Thanks for everyone contributions. Really grateful and encouraged by your comments!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    really good balance, the only subject i didnt take that you did was computer science. I thoroughly enjoy history but being the person i am, i find it so hard to start remembering dates but once i start, it's actually easy. Geography is an easy subject imo, but honestly after the first year of it, the topics get quite boring, like it's super uninteresting but it's a good subject in terms of academic.
    french is really fun for me, i love how the language sounds and it's easy if you can link french words to english ones. triple science is manageable, but the first two units are boring and tedious imo, as it is not scientific enough, just goes on and on about pollution and what not. the 3rd unit is scientific and more interesting, but thats 9 exams alone for triple science :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    really good balance, the only subject i didnt take that you did was computer science. I thoroughly enjoy history but being the person i am, i find it so hard to start remembering dates but once i start, it's actually easy. Geography is an easy subject imo, but honestly after the first year of it, the topics get quite boring, like it's super uninteresting but it's a good subject in terms of academic.
    french is really fun for me, i love how the language sounds and it's easy if you can link french words to english ones. triple science is manageable, but the first two units are boring and tedious imo, as it is not scientific enough, just goes on and on about pollution and what not. the 3rd unit is scientific and more interesting, but thats 9 exams alone for triple science :s
    Well that is calming at least - I was worried that the workload would be too tough as many of my friends opted to do PE and Business studies as opposed to a language and computer science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhorse01)
    Hi, I've recently picked my options to study at gcse. I picked Computer Science (Not computing), French, Geography and History. Was just wondering what people though about my picks and If they had a pleasant/un pleasant experience with these subjects at gcse. I am also doing triple science.
    Well i do both geography and history and coming closer to the GCSEs I can tell yu that its a lot of work but its very possible to do

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly good choices. I absolutely HATE French but that's just me

ReputationRep:
    languages are valuable even at gcse standard so don't bother changing French for something like business studies

ReputationRep:
    x
    These sound great! French is good because GSCE languages are really valuable, some universities even ask for a B grade in a language at GCSE. History and Geography are great because they show good writing comprehension and essay writing skills. Computer science is useful for anything technological, if you want to do that in the future.
    My personal experience with Geography wasn't so good. I thought the course was boring and I had no interest in it, then again I've never been a geographer I switched it to History, which I adored! It's so interesting and definitely useful if you want to do anything like archaeology, classics, ancient history etc. I'm doing it at A Level now because I enjoyed it so much!
    Triple science is hard because there's a lot of content, so watch out for that. I'd advise spending a fair amount of time revising it (unless you're super good at science and have an excellent memory to boot). For chemistry and physics, just practice questions over and over! All the calculations and equations and what not, practice them! As for biology, it's more about memorising information so make sure you try hard to remember everything.
    I wish you all the best in your GCSEs, you'll do great!

PS If you find yourself disliking a topic within the first couple weeks, switch immediately! Don't wait like I did, or think you'll just stick it out until the end. Two years is a long time!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing all your subjects except Geography O_O

Computer Science - fun sometimes, hopefully you know how to code before you go into it though! if not you still have a fair chance but knowing how to is a major advantage

French - I like it a lot

History - It's a step up from Years 7-9, more indepth studies on things such as diplomatic relations and views on different things eg race, gender.

Of course, that's the current GCSE year, you guys have a new type so the syllabus may of changed.

workload has not been an issue at all, GCSE isn't very demanding imo.

ReputationRep:
    I took Geography and French out of your line up:

Geography - I find it quite easy, the exams require knowledge but also the ability to write nicely and logically. I really like it, it's a good mix of writing and sciency/logic, and I'll be taking it next year for A Level.

French - Used to like it, then my teacher went on maternity leave and I hated it for a month because the new teacher is really... arrogant. Anyway, I got used to the teacher and he has really boosted my grades, with me getting an A* in the Speaking module and I'm improving on my marks for Writing module now. French has its difficult moments, but it is definitely worth while (looks good for uni) and once you start learning vocab for the exam/practice papers, it'll click.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

I chose History, Geography, IT and Spanish. So very similar to you, personally I enjoyed all these subjects when I did GCSE apart from Spanish, it was a nightmare.

I ended up with an A in all 3 but a D in Spanish.

Though to be honest I didn't put much effort in to Spanish and now I sort of regret it so don't make the same mistake I did for your French, learning another language is one of the great accomplishments of life!

I made my life easier by doing double science but if you work hard and you're smart TRIPLE should not be a problem!

All your choices are great, you'll enjoy them I bet, let's hope you get some good teachers though!

ReputationRep:
    Current Year 13 student here to give some advice! I took all your subjects bar computer science (I did art instead) and I feel your selection is definitely manageable! A language is always good to have as it is looked on favourably by some employers and universities whilst history and geography will definitely aid your English skills as well but I can't say much in regards to computer science. Triple science is also a good option but I'd only seriously consider it if you feel like you may do science at a level as the last three modules are a good pathway into a level sciences - or so I'm told. Triple science actually put me off science and made me realise that English was what I definitely wanted to do, so just think carefully! Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrob97)
    Current Year 13 student here to give some advice! I took all your subjects bar computer science (I did art instead) and I feel your selection is definitely manageable! A language is always good to have as it is looked on favourably by some employers and universities whilst history and geography will definitely aid your English skills as well but I can't say much in regards to computer science. Triple science is also a good option but I'd only seriously consider it if you feel like you may do science at a level as the last three modules are a good pathway into a level sciences - or so I'm told. Triple science actually put me off science and made me realise that English was what I definitely wanted to do, so just think carefully! Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We don't get an option on whether or not we do triple science - if our teachers think we are bright enough then we are forced to do it without taking into account what other topics we are taking

ReputationRep:
    We don't get an option on whether or not we do triple science - if our teachers think we are bright enough then we are forced to do it without taking into account what other topics we are taking
    Oh ok, in my school it was optional - if you were bright enough you were recommended to take it but it was by no means compulsory. If you're bright enough to take it like your school suggests I am sure you will have no problem and will do incredibly well with your combination of subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

As far as I am concerned, these are all very distinct subjects, but all require a very big time investment - especially computer science! For CompSci, if you are already good at coding, the coursework should be easy, otherwise - you should be prepared to invest a lot of time to learn how to code as coursework is a significant part of the overall final grade. As for Georgraphy and History, I sure hope you have a good memory and you are able to write several paragraphs pretty quickly. Universities after all do appreciate Humanities subjects - so these are two good choices. French is also a good subject, but you should be prepared to remember how to say and write many phrases in French, as this is also a significant part of your overall final grade.

Finally, I do think that these subjects are good, yet require a lot of time to learn very well. I wish you the best of luck - you can contact me if you have any questions regarding Computer Science as I am doing it as well

Leo

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.