Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for posting this here also, but I feel like I would get some sensible insight from IB alumni

I am interested in both(economics has crossed by mind also). Currently in high school(Pre-IB) I don't have issues studying any subject if I want/need to. In the past years I was highly set on medicine, with a few periods when I did prefer law or business/economics over medicine. Now with the deadline for my IB subject choices closing on me, I am totally confused whether to pursue law or medicine. The biggest thing that steers me away from medicine is the length of the studies. 11-13 years of studies in total is a bit off putting. I'm also good in natural sciences( especially bio and chem). Also the unpredictability of healthcare by the time I finish my studies is worrying me.On the other hand I've always been well capable of reading academic texts and righting essays on them. I enjoy history and civics, and I'm also certain I would also enjoy law. I also enjoy paperwork to a certain extent.I'm really confused which I should set my eyes on. Hopefully somebody in this community could provide some useful insight and information to help me resolve my issue. Ofc, in the end it should be my own decision, which shouldn't be affected by anyone else than me.

ReputationRep:
    Flip a coin. If you wish it was the other choice, then that's the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    What do you enjoy out of both of them? Yes your good at those subjects but where do you see a more successful future do you think? Go with the one you enjoy. You'll be happier if you enjoy doing your job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubitom)
    Sorry for posting this here also, but I feel like I would get some sensible insight from IB alumni

I am interested in both(economics has crossed by mind also). Currently in high school(Pre-IB) I don't have issues studying any subject if I want/need to. In the past years I was highly set on medicine, with a few periods when I did prefer law or business/economics over medicine. Now with the deadline for my IB subject choices closing on me, I am totally confused whether to pursue law or medicine. The biggest thing that steers me away from medicine is the length of the studies. 11-13 years of studies in total is a bit off putting. I'm also good in natural sciences( especially bio and chem). Also the unpredictability of healthcare by the time I finish my studies is worrying me.On the other hand I've always been well capable of reading academic texts and righting essays on them. I enjoy history and civics, and I'm also certain I would also enjoy law. I also enjoy paperwork to a certain extent.I'm really confused which I should set my eyes on. Hopefully somebody in this community could provide some useful insight and information to help me resolve my issue. Ofc, in the end it should be my own decision, which shouldn't be affected by anyone else than me.
    Hey, if you do HL Biology, Chemistry then either English or History I think this keeps all options open?? (check but i'm pretty sure!!)

ReputationRep:
    Law isn't exactly a guaranteed job as a lawyer at all.

Training contracts and law as a whole is more competitive than ever atm, over 1000 ppl apply for like 70 training contacts at the best firms.

Meanwhile, atm, one is pretty much guaranteed to become a doctor once they've done their degree.

ReputationRep:
    doctor, because personally i'd rather have more doctors than lawyers in our society xD

ReputationRep:
    follow your heart - who do you want to help with your profession?

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend you chose your subjects with a view to pursuing medicine. The same subjects would allow you to apply for law if you decided on that as a career path but if you dropped all your science stuff just now with a view to business or law you couldn't change your mind to apply for Medicine at university. I think I'm right here but no doubt someone will correct this if I'm not.

It's keeping your options open till the last minute

Im in the same position. And frankly, unless you apply for a joint honours degree with law or you are able to speak multiple languages for instance then you are, lets say, competent for top firms. Its so difficult to get into popular law firms with just a law degree. Medicine, I would say is beneficial but its 5 years and more in training, and you can only do it with a passion.

ReputationRep:
    I think it really is up to how you feel about them- which one do you like more? Where do you generally see yourself at in 5 years? If you're very undecided, you have to remember that you DO NOT need to become a lawyer...a law degree is beneficial and pretty much opens you up to any sort of career (aside from med/the obvious ones). Studying medicine will close a lot more doors, but then again, it's genuinely up to your passions and how much you like either subject. :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.