Turn on thread page Beta

English literarure REVISION watch

ReputationRep:
    How do you revise for English literature- I'm doing inspector calls of mice and men and conflict cluster and I'm aiming to get an A grade .

ReputationRep:
    It's not too hard - I did Pride and Prejudice and The Importance Of Being Earnest in January and I found the best way to revise is to just find some good websites ( I used the BBC and Sparknotes ) with really through summaries/notes on the book/play and just put it together in a Word doc, cut and paste etc. and print out. Then you can highlight, underline and so on. I did that and it was very useful.

Hope that helps . Good luck with your exam.

ReputationRep:
    I found the best way to revise was making flash cards of the quotes on one said and who said it / what is suggests on the other (this is if your exam is a closed book like mine was).

Make posters of all the characters/themes (one for each) and surround it with quotes, their characteristics, their significance to the novel/play, stage direction (mega important in getting an A* to include this when talking about the inspector calls), symbols, etc.

To get an A* pretty much you need to include:
    Point, evidence (quotation), explain it, analyse key words, link it to another quote, link it to the context of the time, include stage directions (if it's the play), include symbols to represent the point you're making, the effect it has on the audience, appreciate the writers craft (why is he including it, what does he intend the audience to feel, what does it show about his feelings?)

Hope you can make sense of this haha, if you need any help with Of Mice and Men I did that in my closed-book 100% exam English Lit and I got an A*

Also, I don't know if it boosted my mark at all, but I researched out of lessons different language techniques which I could pick up on in my answers. It really showcased my knowledge I guess on the text, which the examiner wants (e.g pathos, foiling, antihero, anticlimax, internal focalization)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the replies and I've been making flash notes too and catlinford3 I'm doing of mice and men book closed so have you got any tips on that to help me .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash-Omar)
    How do you revise for English literature- I'm doing inspector calls of mice and men and conflict cluster and I'm aiming to get an A grade .
    Use loads of fancy complex words, just sprinkle it in there, friend!

ReputationRep:
    I would focus on studying several characters for each book/novella and themes that go with it. Make mind maps, flash cards, read up online and print character sheets (you could annotate and highlight this)

But you should mainly focus on characters and themes as part a) is usually a character question and part b) is usually a theme question regarding the context of the book.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.