Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    No! Are you being serious?

AT LEAST HALF OF THE HOUSE/MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT IS ****ING INACTIVE!
    It will give a stronger right-wing because the right can get the extra right-wing MPs to vote, the left-wing will not be able to get the new left-wing MPs to vote.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    It will give a stronger right-wing because the right can get the extra right-wing MPs to vote, the left-wing will not be able to get the new left-wing MPs to vote.
    Unless the Tories haven't got the activity or membership....

ReputationRep:
    We are admittedly part of the problem at least now – one or two more seats and we'd have issues.

The main issue, however, is that I can't support more MP seats when at least half of the current ones are occupied by people who don't ever contribute, the prime example being Liberals' MM. Why the heck is she still an MP? :eek: It's beyond my comprehension and I don't want 10 more droids.

ReputationRep:
    IMO seats should be distributed based on merit (read: activity) rather than electoral results. THAT would be a curveball.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    We are admittedly part of the problem at least now – one or two more seats and we'd have issues.

The main issue, however, is that I can't support more MP seats when at least half of the current ones are occupied by people who don't ever contribute, the prime example being Liberals' MM. Why the heck is she still an MP? :eek: It's beyond my comprehension and I don't want 10 more droids.
    Out of the 30 odd MPs that never comment, you always seem to pick on her....Are the Right getting a bit obsessed?

Nevertheless, having more seats means more people are likely to join and stick around, increases the chances of by-elections and ensures each party can atleast be adequately represented in Parliament (given the formation of the Nat-Libs).
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Unsure why you still think this given Labour has an almost 96% turnout
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    IMO seats should be distributed based on merit (read: activity) rather than electoral results. THAT would be a curveball.
    How does one determine activity though? It would be up to the speaker which makes him partisan and all hell breaks loose. Also if you define activity as debating do you take into account the quality of dabate? Do you create a points system such as:
    • Strawman = +2 or -3 is detected.
    • Reductum ab absurdum = -5
    • Evidence based deductive argument with correct conclusion = +10
    • Quoting the daily mail = -10
    • Presenting data without citation = -10
    It's a nice thought but impossible to do.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Out of the 30 odd MPs that never comment, you always seem to pick on her....
    Known name given half of contributions are being triggered, known inactivity because, yeah, it's bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    How does one determine activity though? It would be up to the speaker which makes him partisan and all hell breaks loose. Also if you define activity as debating do you take into account the quality of dabate? Do you create a points system such as:
    Something simple like # of on-topic posts (read: not talking about chicken nuggets) longer than 10 words I guess.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Something simple like # of on-topic posts (read: not talking about chicken nuggets) longer than 10 words I guess.
    As an experiment with an additional 5-10 seats it might be interesting. But it would be a lot of work for the speaker
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Way to wipe out the Parliamentary TSR Tory Party
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    And UKIP....

Also, I would have created a who.e list but i couldn't find a comprehensive list of argument tactics.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Lack of evidence based argument with correct conclusions wipes the left out

If targeting the mail why not stop there are restrict allowable sources to only be the FT times and telegraph, us publications being done on a case by case basis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Out of the 30 odd MPs that never comment, you always seem to pick on her....Are the Right getting a bit obsessed?

Nevertheless, having more seats means more people are likely to join and stick around, increases the chances of by-elections and ensures each party can atleast be adequately represented in Parliament (given the formation of the Nat-Libs).
    It's simple: she's the prototype and attacked others on multiple occasions.

No, it doesn't. Sack the ones who do nothing and you'll have many free seats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    If you got points for quoting statistics, I don't think you would have to worry for a long time Aph
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I agree it is not easy to calculate but if a member does not debate for say several weeks, I think there at least should be a VoNC to allow more active members to become MPs.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I agree it is not easy to calculate but if a member does not debate for say several weeks, I think there at least should be a VoNC to allow more active members to become MPs.
    No party has enough active members for that to be a possibility though.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    That's up to the Party to do then... for example, if an MP is very inactive, depending on the Party Constitution, the Leader will usually be able to replace them.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    If Party's lost points for poor spelling/grammar, I think everyone would be ****ed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No party has enough active members for that to be a possibility though.
    Yes, that's a shame. Perhaps there should be a MHoC marketing campaign. ☺

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.