Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am unsure as to which of these university courses would be best for me. I am very interested in the way the brain works. Topics I am particularly interested in include mental illnesses like schizophrenia and the roles of the different parts of the brain. I would appreciate someone who currently takes either degree to advise me which one would be best to take in order to suit my preferences, and what career prospects both have. I would be interested in researching how the brain causes mental illness and how it is linked to inheritance in the future. At the moment, my A-Level choices are Physics, Maths, Psychology and Biology. So I need to know if neuroscience would be better to take at university than psychology.Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lavender3002)
    I am unsure as to which of these university courses would be best for me. I am very interested in the way the brain works. Topics I am particularly interested in include mental illnesses like schizophrenia and the roles of the different parts of the brain. I would appreciate someone who currently takes either degree to advise me which one would be best to take in order to suit my preferences, and what career prospects both have. I would be interested in researching how the brain causes mental illness and how it is linked to inheritance in the future. At the moment, my A-Level choices are Physics, Maths, Psychology and Spanish. So I need to know if neuroscience would be better to take at university than psychology, as I understand to study neuroscience I might need A-Level Chemistry or Biology. I would rather avoid Chemistry but I would be able to cope with Biology if it is an absolute necessity, so I also need guidance as to whether studying biology or chemistry is a necessity for either degree. Thanks in advance.
    If you're not at all interested in chemistry and biology then (pure) neuroscience definitely will unlikely be for you. Psychology degrees often cover a lot of neuroscience however they don't tend to examine biological processes in much detail (e.g. how the cells work in the brain), so you don't need to understand the underlying chemistry of how it works in much detail (although it would help in some cases). If your more interested in behaviour and mind then psychology is a safer bet to pick, but i'd apply to courses where you can choose more neuroscience/cognitive neuroscience modules if you want to do both. Chemistry is probably a better a level then biology generally: for medicine i know its seen as more essential as the biology is fairly easy to pick up (also some neuroscience undegrad degrees have the same view: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...roscience-bsc/), you can be left a bit behind if you dont have the chemistry on day one to understand the chemical processes that basically run the brain. For psychology degrees you only need one or two science (doesn't matter which), applying for a neuroscience degree without chemistry or biology would be a bit odd although i don't know what the entry requirements are typically.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks a lot for your help. I'm glad to hear psychology degrees still cover aspects of neuroscience as I didn't realise this before. As I am interested in both subjects, a psychology degree with neuroscience is probably the best thing to do as you suggested.Thanks again for help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.