Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm a second year and I decided to transfer unis for my second year because of some personal sh*t the year before. I love my new uni and city and honestly glad I moved. I chose to live in halls just cause I thought it would make being new in the city easier also to meet people etc, and it did. I have lovely flatmates and got on super well with them, but after coming back from christmas hols they've been really off with me and I also learnt that they don't want to live with me next year. I have no idea what I did, and when I asked they just dodged the topic!

I actually went out with them quite a bit and I am fairly sociable, but I need to take my work more seriously this term and also the dynamics have changed a lot so I've been avoiding going out, but even being in the kitchen with them, which used to be so comfortable is now horrible and awkward. We're still civil which I'm grateful for but I just don't feel like they see me as a friend anymore and I've become more conscious about how awkward and anxious I am.
    I've always been anxious and I was like this last year (worse even) but this year I prefer where I live and generally more confident. But now I'm closing myself up again and I'm depressed again and have no idea what to do/too scared to talk to a counselor, help???!
    Thanks!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Hoola Hoops)
    So I'm a second year and I decided to transfer unis for my second year because of some personal sh*t the year before. I love my new uni and city and honestly glad I moved. I chose to live in halls just cause I thought it would make being new in the city easier also to meet people etc, and it did. I have lovely flatmates and got on super well with them, but after coming back from christmas hols they've been really off with me and I also learnt that they don't want to live with me next year. I have no idea what I did, and when I asked they just dodged the topic!

I actually went out with them quite a bit and I am fairly sociable, but I need to take my work more seriously this term and also the dynamics have changed a lot so I've been avoiding going out, but even being in the kitchen with them, which used to be so comfortable is now horrible and awkward. We're still civil which I'm grateful for but I just don't feel like they see me as a friend anymore and I've become more conscious about how awkward and anxious I am.
    I've always been anxious and I was like this last year (worse even) but this year I prefer where I live and generally more confident. But now I'm closing myself up again and I'm depressed again and have no idea what to do/too scared to talk to a counselor, help???!
    Thanks!
    Hi there,

I'm very sorry to hear you are having difficulties regarding your living situation. I work at the University and help out with a service called Ask a Student whereby you can get in touch with Glasgow students and ask them questions. The student volunteers that help us with this service are very friendly and would be more than happy to help you.

If you want to get in touch with one of the student volunteers you just need to fill out the form here: http://www.gla.ac.uk/studentlife/askastudent/

I know you said you weren't too keen on speaking to the support services at the University but they would be a very good place to go to if you felt that the situation was getting unmanageable. If you do want to find out more you can check out their webpages: http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/counselling/

If you have any other concerns just let me know

Many thanks,

Hamish

University of Glasgow Staff

ReputationRep:
    I was scrolling through the University of Glasgow thread when I found your post. Really sorry to hear you've been feeling this way and I'm hoping that since you wrote this you're feeling better.

I can relate to the not having very good flat mates thing. I'm also a second year but when I was in halls it wasn't a lot of fun. I didn't understand what the deal with my flatmates was as it wasn't like we didn't get on but there kept being situations such as one night I had to go to A&E and none of them came with me. Pretty crap experience to have to go to hospital alone when you've not been living away from home for that long! You could speak to student services and they can move you - I know that's quite disruptive but it's something to consider. I've also had personal struggles with anxiety and depression and I recommend speaking to a counsellor. It's scary and daunting - took me years to approach someone but talking really is great therapy!

If you don't want to do that, feel free to message me! I'm also a second year at Glasgow and happy to talk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.