Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've come to the realization that I want to do Law, eventually. but unfortunately, my a levels aren't as good as I wish they were..

And while I can get into an alright university for LLB straight away, I doubt that way would make it easy for me, given my understanding that in law, what university you go to really matters and there's a lot of competition for the jobs and training contracts. Luckily I've got an interest in Business & Finance, and got into an alright school for that, not oxford obviously, but an okay one.. I've come to realize that this might in fact be a great way of getting into Law, so here's my idea, and I would love it if someone's got some insight they could share with me?

What I'm thinking is that I could do a Business & Finance degree for three years, picking up the modules that I can in law along the way, after graduating, I can apply with my (hopefully 2.1 at least) to one of the top law schools in the UK, for their senior LLB programme that go over two years, it'll take me a total of 5 years to do what I want to do, but as far as I can see it.. It's a lot more of a strong position to be in, having a good degree in business and finance as well as an LLB from a top law school, rather than an LLB from a mediocre University, and while it'll take me two more years.. I think it'll pay off in the end. Any thoughts on this? Anyone that has gone down this path? Really looking for some advice here! Really appreciate it, cheers,

ReputationRep:
    It'd make more sense to aim for a first and then complete the GDL. I don't see much reason to take a grad-entry LLB: longer than GDL, more expensive, not necessarily easy to get on to. For example, Oxford only takes in firsts for their 2-year senior status course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.