The Student Room Logo
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
This thread is closed

Anyone regret not taking a gap year and reapplying to Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
At the time, I was absolutely gutted that I didnt get into Oxford as it seemed to be everything that I had been working for my whole life. After a year at Durham, I can honestly say that I cant imagine myself being happier anywhere else. Durham is absolutely fantastic!!!!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Reply 41
Thanks to everyone for your replies - I'm quite looking forward to going to Durham (assuming I make my offer...)

kathryn16
At the time, I was absolutely gutted that I didnt get into Oxford as it seemed to be everything that I had been working for my whole life. After a year at Durham, I can honestly say that I cant imagine myself being happier anywhere else. Durham is absolutely fantastic!!!!

I'll hopefully be doing a similar course to you - I have an offer for History and Politics at St Aidan's.:smile:

Do you know if the workload's larger for history joint honours degrees than for single honours history or politics?

Also... what's the college like? I went there for an open day and they had a mini-disco, everyone got drunk and we all went out. I talked to people from other colleges the next day and they had 'fun' activities such as a pub quizzes..:s-smilie: It struck me as being a bit of a party-college/informal/friendly/fun... fair observation?
Reply 42
i got rejected by durham and oxford the first time, then took a gap year to reapply to durham :biggrin:

i thank my stars every day that i didn't get in to oxford! durham = :suith:
Put it this way... I fell in love with Durham when I went. I fell in love with Oxford when I went. I didn't get into Oxford but I got into Durham. I would have been ecstatic going to either. If I don't get the grades for Durham, I will certainly be reapplying to BOTH. My insurance uni can shove it up their posterior.
Reply 44
Wez u know u are gonna reapply as am i probably. Btw how did c4 go?
Ray Oceanweaver
Put it this way... I fell in love with Durham when I went. I fell in love with Oxford when I went. I didn't get into Oxford but I got into Durham. I would have been ecstatic going to either. If I don't get the grades for Durham, I will certainly be reapplying to BOTH. My insurance uni can shove it up their posterior.

Surely if you don't get the grades for Durham, there's no point reapplying for both as you don't meet the entry requirements for either...?
Reply 46
Fossi2
Wez u know u are gonna reapply as am i probably. Btw how did c4 go?

Unless I miss the grades I won't reapply. If I do miss the grades I'll apply for a less competitive course with a lower offer.

C4=meh. Think I got 56/72 (there's a thread on this forum with the answers if you can be bothered to find it). Not great but should hopefully be enough. Was easier than C3 I thought.
Reply 47
i got hold of the c4 and m1 papers found the markschemes and probably got an A. Anyway Good luck