Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anxiety and stress-related illness at University Watch

Hello, I just wanted to start a thread to see if people could share how they have coped at University with anxiety. I am starting University in April and will be moving away from home but I am really worried about not being able to cope.

Sorry if I ramble on a bit.

I have had Anxiety for a few years and have been recently diagnosed with GAD. The main way my anxiety presents itself is through Nausea (One of my worst fears is being sick so this isn't very useful ) acid reflux and earaches, and although I have had these things almost everyday for four years I am worried about dealing with them on my own. I get quite worried about being ill but being able to go and see my Mum and Dad for reassurance that I'm OK has always really helped. I'm just imagining myself sitting all alone in my room, having panic attacks and being really homesick. Has anyone got advice on how to cope with his?

I'm not too worried about the social aspect of University, I love meeting new people and do not normally have issue making friends but I'm worried that people will think I'm weird because I don't drink (mainly because of the fear of sick) and I am not someone who enjoys clubbing or really crowded places. I know that not every student fits that stereotype but I can't seem to help worrying that I will be an outcast.

I finished school last year, after a mostly awful time at sixth form (Illness, stress, not coping well with the work) and decided to use this half gap year to try and sort myself out. I am taking Mirtazipine and I feel like it is starting to take effect which is great But I have hardly left the house since August (although I did manage to cope through a Christmas temp job), mainly due to the constant Nausea, and am worried that I am being naive in thinking that I am going to get to university and suddenly want to go out all the time and feel better. I really really want to be able to do that but anxiety always gets in the way.I am mostly just staying at home feeling ill at the moment but I am hoping that getting a social life again will help distract me.
    I am excited to be doing the NHS course that I have always wanted and at a beautiful University. I just keep imagining the worst case scenario -_- Hopefully when I get there I will be ok. I am planning to email the counselling team before I start so that they will be aware of my situation and I know that I have someone to talk to. Is there anything else I should do?

I know that this is mostly just excessive worry and me imagining the worst case scenario but as anyone with anxiety knows, this can't be helped. Just writing this down has helped a bit, I think my mind is in a bit of a muddle. I guess that I am just looking for some reassurance that people like me have managed to deal with this transition. Thank you so much for reading, any advice would be really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello, I just wanted to start a thread to see if people could share how they have coped at University with anxiety. I am starting University in April and will be moving away from home but I am really worried about not being able to cope.

Sorry if I ramble on a bit.

I have had Anxiety for a few years and have been recently diagnosed with GAD. The main way my anxiety presents itself is through Nausea (One of my worst fears is being sick so this isn't very useful ) acid reflux and earaches, and although I have had these things almost everyday for four years I am worried about dealing with them on my own. I get quite worried about being ill but being able to go and see my Mum and Dad for reassurance that I'm OK has always really helped. I'm just imagining myself sitting all alone in my room, having panic attacks and being really homesick. Has anyone got advice on how to cope with his?

I'm not too worried about the social aspect of University, I love meeting new people and do not normally have issue making friends but I'm worried that people will think I'm weird because I don't drink (mainly because of the fear of sick) and I am not someone who enjoys clubbing or really crowded places. I know that not every student fits that stereotype but I can't seem to help worrying that I will be an outcast.

I finished school last year, after a mostly awful time at sixth form (Illness, stress, not coping well with the work) and decided to use this half gap year to try and sort myself out. I am taking Mirtazipine and I feel like it is starting to take effect which is great But I have hardly left the house since August (although I did manage to cope through a Christmas temp job), mainly due to the constant Nausea, and am worried that I am being naive in thinking that I am going to get to university and suddenly want to go out all the time and feel better. I really really want to be able to do that but anxiety always gets in the way.I am mostly just staying at home feeling ill at the moment but I am hoping that getting a social life again will help distract me.
    I am excited to be doing the NHS course that I have always wanted and at a beautiful University. I just keep imagining the worst case scenario -_- Hopefully when I get there I will be ok. I am planning to email the counselling team before I start so that they will be aware of my situation and I know that I have someone to talk to. Is there anything else I should do?

I know that this is mostly just excessive worry and me imagining the worst case scenario but as anyone with anxiety knows, this can't be helped. Just writing this down has helped a bit, I think my mind is in a bit of a muddle. I guess that I am just looking for some reassurance that people like me have managed to deal with this transition. Thank you so much for reading, any advice would be really appreciated!
    I can't get over how similar our situations are
    - same diagnosis
    - same symptoms
    - same fear of being sick
    - same constant feeling of nausea
    - same coping mechanism
    - I also imagine myself in the same situation at university
    - also don't drink for the same reason
    - I also hate clubs and crowded environments
    - am also worried I will seem like an outcast
    - also finished college last year and hated it for the same reasons (I'm not even joking)
    - have also taken a year out to sort myself out
    - also stay at home a lot at the moment except for the two days of the week which I work all day
    - I keep thinking that everything will just work out at uni but that's just naivety
    - I am also going to university to study the nhs course I have always wanted to at what I would also describe as a beautiful university

I honestly do not know what to say in response to this, I read it like someone had written it about me.

I am actually genuinely at a loss for words

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.