Economics vs Mathematics and Economics
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by under8ed)
Economics vs Mathematics and Economics
This isn't something anyone can answer for you - the best you'll get from posing this question on TSR is: "which is more popular with TSR members".

Both courses will usually contain a substantial mathematical content (or *can* if you chose mathematical options) - it's up to you to decide if the level and type of maths content in a single honours maths degree is what you're looking for or whether you'd want to enhance your maths skills/knowledge in non-econ areas.

If you do decide to go the maths & econ route then do your research. Combined honours degrees can often be poorly organised and poorly supported. Ask about degree structure, timetabling, how your final year project/dissertation is managed. Ask which department "owns" the course and what sort of communication between departments takes place. Ask if you'll be taking second and third year econ modules where academic staff assume all the students have taken a full suite of econ modules in first year or whether all modules cater for students taking combined honours.....and ask to speak to current students about how they find the course and whether they feel they benefit from the combined honours or not.

Some universities absolutely nail combined honours courses and the students have a great experience and support....in other places you could be signing up for a sub-standard experience where you'll be marked by both departments assuming you're taking a single honours degree in those subjects...in other words you'll need to work twice as hard to do as well as single honours peers. Be 100% sure you know what you're signing up for before you commit to it.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What do you want to do for a career?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (25)
71.43%
No I haven't decided yet (6)
17.14%
Yes but I might change my mind (4)
11.43%

Watched Threads