Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I always wanted to go to Cambridge but I didn't get in (well, didn't apply), so I'm really just curious how much the uni you go to affects the jobs you can get from a compsci degree. I've heard that big tech companies like Google are less interested in academic qualifications and more in ability (not sure how they'd measure that), but I'm not sure how true it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    I always wanted to go to Cambridge but I didn't get in (well, didn't apply), so I'm really just curious how much the uni you go to affects the jobs you can get from a compsci degree. I've heard that big tech companies like Google are less interested in academic qualifications and more in ability (not sure how they'd measure that), but I'm not sure how true it is.
    I can't speak with complete authority, but my experiences have shown me it is much more about ability (as it should be).

The reason places like Cambridge have such good employment rates post undergrad is becuase they tend to produce capable students.

there are plenty of equally capable students who come out of "lesser" unis, or who have never done uni at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    In my experience, very little. What will stand out more is commercial experience, personal projects and possibly professional certifications (with the relevant work experience, of course).

Your capabilities and experiences are far more important in the IT/Tech field, so be sure to highlight what you can do and have done in your application process and CV.

Be prepared to show evidence of your work in the form of a Github profile, portfolio, websites/links etc. and also interview tests and assessments (these can occur at the interview stage or emailed to you, or online and will vary depending on what the employer is looking for).

What area are you looking to get into? E.g. web development, software engineering, cyber security, server/network administration etc.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.